Best practice . . .

Prof Young

Ever since losing Carol Ann I've been coming home and not immediately locking up my carry gun. It may live on the kitchen counter for a day or so, or maybe on a dresser in my bedroom. Am always aware of those times when others will be in the house and so lock it up appropriately. But as I looked at my gun on my dresser today, it occurred to me that someday I am going to forget that there is a gun on the kitchen counter or the dresser and grand kids will be in the house. They all know better, but still . . .

So new practice is to lock it up as soon as I am no longer carrying it. To facilitate that I'll be moving a pistol safe up to the main floor of the house.

I know some of you are thinking I should carry at home but my life circumstance (rural town, residence right across the street from the Police department and sheriff office) I don't think I need to carry at home.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.

Prof Young

ballardw

I know some of you are thinking I should carry at home but my life circumstance (rural town, residence right across the street from the Police department and sheriff office) I don't think I need to carry at home.

I live within eye-sight of police station/jail and used to be DMV.
Before I finished moving into this house the police were out in the neighborhood searching for an escaped prisoner. Not the only time either.

I carry in my house.

Eddiejoe

Prof Young, I completely agree that routines are important! We have three dogs. One responds to commands off leash. The second needs the leash because he'll run off, and out in the middle of nowhere, he'd be an easy target for coyotes. The third is a very big puppy who absolutely HATES the leash! As soon as we bring him in, he wants to do zooming in a crowded house. Because of this, I close the entryway off to put on his leash and take it off. It is easier to control him.
I close the entryway for the other two as well. This reinforces the process for me so that I don't accidentally let the big boy run around and knock my wife down, or hurt himself running into the sofa.
This good habit protects my wife, our pups, and me.

zeke

When younger, learned the best place to get away with something was on the rural Police buildings roof. Course that may be different in large city.

While respecting your opinion, am always carrying. Most of my time is spent in the house, which is in a well lit location. Unless necessary because of children/others wandering around the house, would never lock up my carry gun.

TailGator

Wise to establish a routine of storing the pistol properly, for exactly the reasons you cite - we can forget it is out, and we can receive unexpected visitors.

Whether you carry at home or not is another question, but having it either on you or locked up is best practice.

eflyguy

The "best practice" is the one that suits your lifestyle, or as-required by local law.

Nobody comes in my house, except my daughter on rare occasion. She keeps her USPSA match pistol (G17 loaded with JHP) in condition 1, on her nightstand. She carries a Shield because she's more comfortable carrying with a thumb safety. Mine are scattered around.

Before she started competition with me, or when we/she had "kids" over, we kept them secure.