Best powder for Ranier 165 Plated HP in a 10mm loading?

BADMAN400

Any of you reloading sages out there have a recommendation on the best powder to use for the Ranier 165 Plated HP in a 10mm loading?

I cant find a listing in the Lee loading manual for Bullseye with the 165gr flavor. Closest is for 170gr Jacketed bullet with a starting load of 6.0 and never exceed of 6.2.

Not wanting to blow the lid off, as much as just load a safe and reliable plinking load. I have 500 pcs of new Starline Brass and 1000 of the Ranier 165gr Plated HP projectiles.

Plan to shoot in a glock 29 with stock bbl.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated. :cool:

Sevens

I have two different answers for you, maybe one or both will help.

1) That looks like safe data for you to try with a 165gr plated slug. Referencing the Alliant printed guide from a couple years back, they show Bullseye for a 170 grain bullet at 6.2 max like the Lee data you found. They also show data for a 155 grain bullet at 6.7 grains. I would think 6.0 would be worth trying for your bullet.

2) BUT... you knew there would be a but... A couple things that I wouldn't really dink with. First is Bullseye in 10mm. I've done it, it goes bang. But you end up getting full pressure with less velocity. If you only need to make the gun go bang and punch paper, meh, sure. But it's not the right powder for the job. Bullseye is a great powder for target loads, and better suited to smaller or low pressure cases.

Furthermore, I would stick to jacketed bullets in 10mm. Personally, I use a heap of plated bullets in a slew of calibers and I love 'em. But in 10mm, I stick to a jacketed bullet. I've been shooting 180s in 10 out of my G29. Most plated bullets are recommended to be kept under 1,200 fps and the lighter you go under 180 grains, the closer you'll get to 1,200 fps and beyond. And Ranier bullets do not have a reputation for being on the thick side of the plated bullets out there.

If I were going to use plated bullets in 10mm, I'd go with a heavier bullet... which would help me stay under that 1,200 fps guideline.

For my 180 grain jacketed loads, I use Power Pistol. Have also dabbled in Blue Dot. Both are very popular in 10mm. Accurate #7 also has it's fans. Velocity kings go with 800x, but that meters like crushed oreos.

BADMAN400

Thnx Sevens!

I ended up getting some Accurate #2 as listed in the manual for 165 gr lead bullet. Switched over from the Bullseye. Ranier recommends using lead data for their plated stuff.

The Accurate #2 is a little faster burning with a starting load of 6.4 and never exceed of 7.1 and 1230 fps. I am dropping 6.8 consistently with the auto disc powder drop. So if I do get over 1200, it won't be much. This stuff is spherical and drops like silk.

In the future I think I'll take your advice and try some Blue Dot and/or PowerPistol with jacketed pills, but I'd still like to stay down with the weight of the bullet if for no other reason than comfort, at least with the range fodder. :D

I also have some Nosler 135 grain ballisitic FMJ pills, that I'll probably load with Universal for a fragnasty round just for the fun of it. Might be a pretty effective SD/HD round coming out at 1500-1600ish fps. :eek:

Bottom line, I will err to the side of caution, and will sneak up slowly on any turbo loads. Thanks again for the information! :cool: