Best powder for .223 in AR-15?

9mmSkeeter

I haven't picked a bullet weight yet but I'm thinking 55 gn, in the middle practically. I want accuracy through a DPMS AR15, but also lighter recoil. I'll be using CCI Small Rifle Primers. I made a list and Here's what my LGS has in stock :

IMR 8208 XBR
VARGET
BENCHMARK
H-380
H414
H4198
BLC2
H335
SUPERFORMANCE
IMR 4320
IMR 4895
IMR 4166
IMR 4198
IMR 4064
Winchester 748

Leaning towards the 748 for some reason. Thanks!

Oh I also actually HAVE IMR 3031 in my posession but I have not tried it in the ar yet as I don't have that quite yet (layaway)

Fisher

With the 55 gr. bullets it's hard to go wrong with Varget. I get very good accuracy out of my Rock River with a 1:8 twist and an 18" barrel using 24 gr. of Varget. If you decide on a heavier bullet Varget should still do the job. You might consider Reloader 15 or H322 if you can find it.

Jim

For blast away ammo its been:
IMR 4198 my choice for that purpose.
For targeting (not seen on you're list due to it (not) being a Hodgdon business holding.)
Accurate Arms-2230 always has been my prefered for 223 targeting.

Ifishsum

Nothing wrong with W748 at all, or BL-C(2). I use those the most for my 53-55gr loads. I shoot a lot of 100-200 yd matches and use a lot of those loads; I like ball powder for higher volume stuff because it meters perfectly and consistently, and I can load them up twice as fast as I would if I was trickling up each charge.

H335 is also a very good choice; I would probably have tried more of that but the supply for it has been meager around here for a few years and I wanted to develop a load I could get a supply of powder for. W748 and BL-C(2) seem to have been easier to get my hands on lately.

I do prefer to use magnum primers with ball; I have used 400s without issue but ball powder has a reputation for being harder to ignite, especially in cold weather. FWIW

Road_Clam

Lots of excellent powders out there for 5.56 gas gun. My top performing powders are

1) Win 748 (excellent powder for 52-77gr bullets)
2) Benchmark (favors lighter 52-55 gr bullets)
3) XBR-8208 ( This worked excellent for 55's FMJ's and the 62gr SS109 steel core bullets)

There are also others such as H335 and Varget but I have not tested these powders in an AR platform. I read a lot of positive feedback on these as well.

Last edited:

WVMountaineer

On your list, 748 is going to be hard to beat. It is a great 5.56 powder. I use Ramshot TAC though, which isn't on your list. Stick with the 748. God Bless

Gravedigger56

Only powder I have ever used in my AR-15 so far has been IMR-4895. Meters well and I really like it for it's nice soft recoil with a 55gr bullet. Recently I picked up some Varget and H335 that I will be trying soon.

Machineguntony

If you're looking for accuracy, I can't vouch for any of those powders.

I've shot tens of thousands of .223 using many of those powders, and they all cycle the action. I say go for the cheapest powder per shot.

Outside of accuracy, as long as they reliably cycle the action, it's all good.

I say that, but when when I see Ramshot TAC available ($140/8lbs), I act like an 18 year old girl who just ran into Justin Bieber.

rebs

Here is my favorites for a 55 gr bullet in my AR, CFE223, H335, 3031. All very accurate and reliable.

madmo44mag

VARGET, Accurate Arms-2230, IMR 4198 are the three powders I can find locally on a regular bases.
Just last week I ran across a smoking deal on 8lb of AR Comp so I bought it.
Not sure if I am going to like it. It seems best suited for heavy bullets and I have about 6k 55gr FMJ on hand.
I guess we will see.

waveslayer

I like running CFE223, Vargwt and XBR, have had some awesome results with those powders from 55 grain all the way up to 77gr

rg1

Most popular powder on your list for 55 grain AR loads is H335 by a wide margin. Win 748 is a good powder also but it takes more powder to equal H335 in velocity. Higher than 26 grains of Win 748 is required to equal 25 grains of H335. Plus Win 748 is known to be temperature sensitive. A max load worked up in cool temperatures will be over max in 95 degree summertime. I've loaded a lot of 748 though and would consider maximum to be 26.4 grains with 55 grain bullets. My 2 cents: Forget the IMR powders from IMR 4198 through IMR 4064 and H 4198, H380, or H414. The 4198 powders are the most troublesome powders in AR's with 55 gr. bullets. Takes a near max charge just to cycle the action of AR's Avoid 4198 unless it's the only powder you can find. Benchmark, Varget, and 8208 work well BUT I still recommend H335 with 55 grain bullets. Varget works well for heavier 69-77 match bullets. Another popular powder for 55 gr. loads is Tac. Follow Hodgdon's data for H335 and you will be pleased with the results. Again, use Hodgdon's data for 55 gr. bullets. In your area with extreme cold and also hot summer temperature I'd consider using CCI 450, BR4, or CCI 41's as they are considered a magnum primer but only slightly warmer than others. They would possibly work better in extreme cold?

Last edited:

Blue Grass

It will depend on what "your" rifle likes. My "go to" powder is AA-2460 but you'll have to find what works for you. Ain't no shortcut to trying different components.

9mmSkeeter

Update

Found a powder at Scheels today. It was $19.99 so I went for it. Accurate Arms 2015BR. Hope I made a good choice!

WVMountaineer

"I say that, but when when I see Ramshot TAC available ($140/8lbs), I act like an 18 year old girl who just ran into Justin Bieber.".

Me too brother. Me too. 8 lbs is going for $180 around here. God Bless

rg1

That wasn't on your list and you didn't regard any recommendations but that powder should work ok.