Best Place to Find Classic Wheelguns

Where's the Best Place for Vintage Wheelguns?

• Pawn Shop

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Gun Show

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Estate Sale

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Garage Sale

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Gun Store

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Police Supply Store

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Online Surplus Gun Stores

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr.357Sig

Just curious where you guys (and gals) find the most interesting vintage wheelguns. I'm not looking for collectibles, but an older, all steel .38 special snubbie or a surplus police revolver would be cool to own and shoot.

I'm sure there are some deals to be found at pawn shops and gun shows. Maybe smaller gun shops or police supply stores? Estate sales or garage sales? Or online surplus gun stores like J&Gs?

Thoughts?

MLeake

Seems you are already aware of J&G Sales. They have a good reputation, so I checked their site when looking for a used Model 10 for my lady's father.

J&G was very easy to deal with, and her dad is very happy with his Wells Fargo Very Good + condition 4" bull barrel Model 10.

Last I looked, they had a bunch of Model 64 and 65 stainless trade-ins.

Good luck.

woad_yurt

There's a pawn shop nearby and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out their pricing guidelines. I got a beautiful Model 14 for $300 out-the-door, a gorgeous Model 67 no-dash for the same, a Makarov for $120, etc. Yet, in the same display case, one can see a beater H&R 622* for $169 and used Hi-Points priced $30-$40 above the MSRP for new ones. Marlin 60s are dirt cheap but all of the other long guns are priced through the roof. Recently, next to some way overpriced S&W semiautos, was a Belgian Browning Hi-Power for $399, which I snapped up in a flash.

I also have pretty good luck with the online auction sites but it takes some effort. I have like 20 saved searches which I use frequently.

* Who wants a six shot H&R anyway when one can find the nine shot models all over the place?

Last edited:

old bear

All of the above, a good option is using on line sales sites they are the easiest but not always the best prices, and to some respect you are buying a "pig-in-a-poke." That being said, the last two (2) revolvers I have purchased were from Internet auction sites, and I got an excellent value with both.

Last edited:

getduck

The Tulsa Gun Show, ten acres of gun show under roof. Unbelievable fun to walk around and see everything under the sun for sale. Lots of Colts and Winchesters and other collectables

Gunbroker. I have several that I found there. Beats walking miles and hours at a gunshow. For the shipping fees I've paid, I've saved entry fees, parking, meals, and gas avoiding gunshows.

Smaug

I never find anything at a fair price at gun shows.

I have two local shops I occasionally check in on that usually have good stuff.

Most Gunbroker sellers are EXCEEDINGLY greedy. I don't know how they sell anything.

-Jeremy
Sent from my iPod

sw282

Cant believe l am saying this. My last GREAT deal was at a REAL gun store. Found a PRISTINE Mod 25-5 for $379:D

JRussell

Robertson's trading post

You might consider Robertson's Trading Post in Henderson TN. They aren't the least expensive, but fair priced. I haven't bought anything from them, but wouldn't hesitate to, if I were on the market. Most of their inventory is on GunsAmerica, but you could call them direct without going through GA.

http://www.robertsontradingpost.com/inventory.htm

What I REALLY like about this outfit is that they meticulously describe the condition of the used gun as accurately as possible iin most cases - they will tell you what the cylinder gap is, they will tell you how much rotational play there is in the cylinder lockup, accurately describe the finish condition...even the TRIGGER PULL - for each individual gun! (even if they have a couple dozen surplus of the same model.) Don't know of any other outfit that does this. I'd pay an extra $80 to know exactly what to expect and where the gun came from.

redlevel42

My local shop keeps me in all the Models 10, 36, 19, 15, etc that I can afford. I also find some S&Ws on a Georgia based forum with a good S&S.