Best place to conceal a medium sized gun?

Tophe

I am wondering where you guys that carry medium sized guns conceal them. Guns that the sizes of the G19's and G23's. I want to order a holster to carry my P-01, which will also be my first CC gun.

I know I should try all the different options, but I wanna try and get something good for my first holster.

Is the SOB is a little easier to conceal this size gun?

Last edited:

MLeake

IWB, 4 o'clock; OWB, 4 o'clock if wearing jacket

I've been told that SOB is a bad idea due to the possibility of back injury if you fall on the weapon. I have no trouble picturing the possibilities inherent in angular metal or wood being shoved with the force of my body weight into my lumbar vertebrae, so this warning makes sense to me.

A forward cant, slightly behind the hip, conceals well and isn't too hard to get to in a seated position.

A crossdraw could be a good idea, if you spend a lot of time in a car.

Shoulder holsters can be good, if you wear a jacket and won't need to remove it in public.

Tophe

I dont wear jackets typically. Typically I am just casually dressed....jeans and a t-shirt. Shorts in the summer. I know I'll probably get a pocket gun eventually for the real hot days we have here in MI. Winter months will be alot easier to conceal any kind of gun.

5whiskey

The best way I have to conceal a medium size gun (G19) is with a USMC Web belt UNDER my dress. I attach a cheap uncle mikes ccw holster to the belt, cinch it tight, and then put my pants on. I can tuck my shirt, wear shirts that aren't 2 sizes too big, bend over without printing... that's the best way I've found. The only problem is it's pretty deep concealment. Nothing like the concealed underwear or anything, but you need to practice drawing ALOT! My grip is above the beltline of my trousers, but there's little room to pry my fingers in. You really have to dig the pistol out aggressivly, but it works like a champ for me and I conceal even a large pistol in any attire as long as I'm wearing a shirt that's not a muscle shirt (can't wear those these days anyway).

BTW, I wear it between 4 and 5 o'clock.

luvsasmith

Funny thing about midsize firearms

I seem to have the same degree of difficulty in concealing them as I do fullsize firearms. MLeake is spot on though. Stay away from the SOB, it is nothing but trouble. In the academy they told us numerous stories about why you should keep anything but a glove pouch away from your vertebrae. Pancake holsters have worked well for me with an untucked shirt. I am not a big fan of the idea of a IWB holster being used for a weapon without a "real" safety (as in my G23). I would probably sooner drop the lead (jacketed, of course) in the pipe and simply practice racking my slide whenever I draw than I would trust the "safeties" of a Glock in a IWB holster. Seems silly I know, but that is just me.

That would not jive well with my job though as I have one in the pipe every time I put my uniform on- I wear a lot of shirts untucked.

RT

I CCW in a MTAC IWB holster- the gun sits at about the 4 o'clock position. I use a Comp-tac belt and wear polo shirts that are 1 size too large.
This is actually my G26, but I have the shell to carry the G19 also.
IMG_0001-1.jpg

madmo44mag

Hmmmm - In my safe!!
I carry a snubbie 44 spl. some times
Just depends on what I'm wearing how I conceal.
Some time IWB and some times in my pocket.
Just depends.
IMO it has a lot to do with how you are build.

Tophe

Well Im not a real big guy. About 5'5 , 165 lbs. I think my buddy has a cheap IWB holster I'll have to try. About 4-5 o clock was where I was thinking would work well also.

I think the problems with the SOB carry makes alot of sense. My dad went through multiple back surgeries(not from carrying a gun there) and I dont want to go through thtat stuff.

I have been looking at Fist holsters because they list the P-01 on their list of compatible guns.

I have been just tucking it in my belt in the house to see how it feels, and I see how a forward cant would probably help conceal when bending forward and just concealing in general

christcorp

When I carry my Sig P220 45acp (I guess you could call that medium); it's usually in the colder months on the inside of my jacket. You can buy jackets with inside pockets that open vertically. (Finding a left hand - pocket on the right side; was difficult, but I found some). In the warmer months, I carry a walther or FEG 32acp. And I have no problem carrying it IWB in the small of my back. It's all a matter of training. It's not hard to offset it enough to get more on the meaty part of your butt. Then again, there's the crowd that likes to carry their 1911A1's cocked and locked; which I'm not a fan of. So I guess there will always be disagreements on how to do anything in life. I have learned in my almost 50 years of life that when someone says something is bad or good for EVERYONE; meaning something is definite one way or another; then they are usually wrong. Very few things in life are definite. HOW you carry your weapon is NOT one of those things. Figure out what's the most comfortable and accessible for you. You are the one that needs to wear it and be able to access it when needed. It does you no good to do it the way someone else tells you is the "RIGHT" way to carry it if it's uncomfortable or difficult for you to unholster when you need it. I even know people who don't carry very often because they say it's uncomfortable. Well, that sure does them a lot of good.

The only wrong way to carry a weapon is one that either prevents it from remaining concealed, one that is too uncomfortable to wear, or one that doesn't allow you the quickest access (For you) to the gun when you need it. This is also another reason why I carry a walther style 32acp in the warmer months when I'm not wearing jackets, coats, or other bulky clothing. I can place the gun in my pocket; inside waist band on my side; inside waist band towards my back; in an ankle holster; inside suit jackets; etc.... Plus, a 32auto is quite capable of doing the job. I always prefer my sig p220. But that's mainly because it's just a kick butt gun. But I feel confident with the 32acp.

redstategunnut

I recommend strongly against a "cheap" holster. If you spent $500 or more on a weapon, spend the money to get a decent holster. You wouldn't put cheap retreads on a fine sports car would you?
To answer the question directly, a good IWB holster would serve you well. I have and like very much several, including: Galco Royal Guard, Andrews Leather McDaniel II, Kramer IWB #3.

MLeake

+1 on Andrews leather

I own a bunch of his holsters; well made and comfortable; several MacDaniel II IWB, a couple of Saddle OWB. I have a hybrid saddle and a shoulder rig on order.

Sam's wait times are reasonable, his customer service is first rate, and he tells great stories to boot. (I used to live a few miles down the road; Sam is good people.)

armoredman

czandhbe.jpg

CZ P01, same size as your P06, IWB from HBE leatherworks, strong side. big loose t-shirt, pulled back to show holster, easy concealment, even in AZ hot summers. Get a good rig, no $20 Uncle Mikes, or you will be unhappy.

ligonierbill

Glock 23, Sidearmor IWB, just behind my front pocket. Bad news, you always know it's there. Good news...same. I was out looking at really compact pistols, but once I got this set up, it's the Glock or a mouse.

Kyo

p345 IWB at 4 o'clock. comfy, accessible, totally undetectable and I walk around with tank tops and shorts. Also depends on the holster. If it is really low rise, such as the butt of the gun at your jeans waistline/loops, you can get away with shorter shirts.