Best place to buy wads?

maillemaker

I've been using cream of wheat as a filler but was advised to use wads. Midway USA has wads for $20/1000. Cabela's as them for $10/100. What's your best place to buy wads?

Steve

maillemaker

That price looks good. Where would I buy material to make my own? I have heard of looking in thrift shops for hats but I don't really fancy hunting around for them.

Steve

Doc Hoy

I like the hat idea..

because I am an embarrassing tightwad.

Mykeal would tell you to go get some Durafelt.

Did I mention you can get about a billion wads from one felt hat that runs about two to three bucks at a thrift shop?

Make sure it says 100% wool.

g.willikers

A lot of what looks like a felt hat is actually some kind of synthetic/polyester.
Wads made from them will melt in the gun.
I use gasket paper, from the auto parts store.
The thicker version.
Works very good.

Captainkirk

Best place is Durafelt and make your own. Other than that, Track of the Wolf or Midsouth Shooter's Supply ($4.50/100 last time I bought some)

Doc Hoy

Synthetic wool can be avoided...

...By making sure the hat has a label designating it 100% wool. If the label is missing steer clear of it.

Durafelt can be purchased in thickness that t is better for wads than a hat.

spitpatch

Was doing the old hat thing but have not found any for quite awhile. So bought some dura felt and a set of punches from Harbor Freight. Got a lifetime supply of 36 & 44 now.

maillemaker

Thanks for the durafelt link, I have a need for 100% wool padding for some medieval gauntlets I am working on:

http://imgur.com/a/BAae9

I'm going to have to model it up in CAD and see how many wads I can get out of a sheet of the felt to see how it works out.

Steve

Fingers McGee

Hawg said:
Dang Fingers, those are expensive.

Yes, they are pricier than the 1/8 inch fiber wads; which are not appropriate for C&B revolvers. These are lubed 1/4 inch felt wads and the prices are less than half what you'd pay in a retail setting or online from the big box stores(Bass Pro wants $12.99/hd and Cabelas wants $9.99/hd. Gander Mountain doesn't even list them).

Besides, I'm lazy and figure it'd take more than $36.00 worth of labor and materials to make 1000 lubed wads. I go through between 1500 and 2000 a year. Have you priced beeswax lately?