Best place in Dallas area to buy...

CastleBravo

There are too many to count, but I can tell you what to AVOID:

Big Bear Arms in Carrolton, Texas. Their resident gunsmith is a nimrod named Richard that has broken several people's pistols (incuding one of mine). Thank goodness the damage was nothing a trip to BCP couldn't fix. Total a-holes.

On to the good...

The Bullet Trap in Plano is good, but their prices are kind of flukey. They are average on some things, kinda high on others and lately have had some killer deals on Colts (like an XSE Commander and a Series 70 GM for ~$550). Nice selection, nice atmosphere, minimal hassles and an indoor range with tons of guns to rent.

I'm sure there are lots of other good places, the phone book is full of 'em. Dallas is a pretty gun-friendly place.

Barn Dog

As follows: Irving Firearms, Bachman Pawn & Gun, Doc's Walther. Check them out at the gun shows of which there are 3-4 coming up over the next 4-6 weeks. Irving firearms has a really good staff although in-store selection is sometimes a bit thin. They offer much more at the shows. Don't know if Doc has a shop or not but he always has a whopper inventory at the shows. All three have decent prices. Regards, Barn.

JohnKSa

Administrator
For military surplus guns & ammo, check out Ammo Depot in Mesquite.

For new/consignment guns plus a wide variety of supplies and ammo, try B&S Guns in Garland.

I've had bad things to say about B&S in the past (about their attitude--not their prices or selection), but over the last year or two, their attitude has really improved.

9x19

"Doc" (David) Avery is a dentist in McKinney.

He has no separate shop, but you can call him, and if he has what you want in stock, you can pick it up at his Dentist Office the next day.

Upcoming guns shows:

Big Town Exhibition Center in Mesquite on Sep 8 & 9

Market Hall at I35 and Market Center Blvd on Sep 22 & 23.

I'll second the Bullet Trap as a good shop. Their prices aren't the best but the shop is a strong supporter of the NRA and does their best to introduce new shooters to the political aspects as well as good safe handling.

They also have a good rental section to let you test drive various models.

They also have a pretty good consignment section although the guy who thinks he is going to get $325 for a used FEG Hi-Power knock-off must be on some good medication. You'd think the 18 months the gun has sat on the shelf would give him a clue.

If price is your only consideration, then I'd go with Bachman Gun and local gun shows.

CANIS

Thanks!

Wow - thanks for all the suggestions. I have $500 burning a hole in my pocket and am in the mood for some gun shopping!

canis

Andrewh

There is actuall a gun show this weekend if you don't mind the drive. Amon Carter in fort worth.
Also I would recommend Gun Masters in Plano, near the new Sam's. And B&S guns in garland.
I really don't like the prices at the bullet trap, but the people there are good, and I use their range. They do have a good selection of rentals if you aren't sure what you want yet.

Curley

The best prices and largest selection I have found in the Dallas area is Bachman Guns. I've also sold or traded several guns there, and they seem to offer the most on that end too.

Also, check out sportingarms.com. It's an online dealership that a guy runs out of his house in Lewisville. If you live in the area, you can pick up your gun at his house, so you don't have to pay shipping or FFL transfer fee. His prices are usually equal to or better than Bachman's, and he takes trade-ins.

In Fort Worth, check out Cheaper Than Dirt. They have a big selection. Prices are good, but not as good as Bachman's.

Good luck.

Will Beararms

I know the timing is not good for most on the board but Bachman Pawn and Gun has an NIB S&W Performance Center 4516 .45 ACP FOR $439.00 + TAX!

Gopher

One thing about Bachman Pawn and guns, if you can wait and catch them at a gun show their prices are anywhere from $15-25 cheaper. May be just the competition at the shows but its worth the wait.

Last edited:

9x19

Considering that Bachman is always set up next to "Doc's Walthers", yep, I'd say it's the competition... :D

Curley

Gopher:

You're right about Bachman cutting its prices at shows. I was at the Fort Worth show yesterday and picked up a new Kel-Tec P32 for $209. The usual price in the store is $229.

Doc's prices were pretty good too, but not quite as low as Bachman's.

Yanus

Another thing about the Bullet Trap in Plano is they have an indoor rifle range. They have a couple of 25yrd lanes for rifles. I haven't tried them yet, but I did call and ask about a M94 30-30 and they said "no problem". I am planning to give them a try some weekend when I can spare the time. That is the only indoor rifle range I've ever heard of.

Gopher

Yanus
There is another indoor range in Dallas on Mockingbird just west of Harry Hines. I cant for the life of me remember the name of it. They do allow rifles there. as a matter of fact you can rent the rifle from the movie Scarface if you want along with MP5's and some other goodies. I'm sure someone will post the name of the place.

Yanus

Thanks, Gopher.
You might need that MP5 on Harry Hines when the sun goes down! That is one street I will only drive on during daylight hours. Barber Guns is on Harry Hines. They are pretty good and have a good selection of reloading supplies.

Yanus

If you want to see a really big show, make the pilgrimage to Houston to the Astro Hall. I used to go frequently when I live on the gulf coast. They have it either two or three times a year. It takes all day to see it all.