Best Picatinny Base

Bill Daniel

Savage FCP 260 Rem. round back. Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 FFP M5 TMR. Mark 4 high rings. Picatinny one piece base with 20 MOA elevation. For some reason Leupold does not offer a one piece Picatinny rail for Savage. What do you consider to be the best fit for the above? Goal paper punching at 1000 yards.
Thanks,
Bill Daniel

jdillon

Both of the above are good choice and Warne makes a quality product as well. Have them mounted on my Model 12 and McMillan.

taylorce1

I've got an Evolution Gun Works (EGW) 20 MOA base on my Savage LR .243 Win. No problems with fit to the receiver or to rings. The only problem is it isn't as expensive as the ones menioned above. ;)

Coach Z

I've got a warne base on my current rem 700 and I've used badger in the past both very high quality pieces.

Warne also has great customer support, I managed to lose a couple screws from the base and they sent me new ones no charge.

THE RAVEN

Third vote for the Evolution Gun Works base......VERY solid,and well made,it gives you plenty of adjustment.....I put mine on a Rem 700 .308,no problems at all...! You can find them on Ebay pretty cheap...

bamaranger

EGW v. others

The EGW rails are aluminum, or aluminum alloy of some type.

The Badger, the Warne, some others are steel. Some makers offer both. You cannot argue the durability of a steel rail. Whether or not one needs a steel rail v. aluminum is up to the user. I have a EGW on my rimfire trainer. My F-TR rifle has a steel 20 degree Warne.

taylorce1

EGW v. othersThe EGW rails are aluminum, or aluminum alloy of some type.

EGW makes steel bases, just not for Savage. Plus I've never heard of an aluminum scope base failure. I've heard of the mounting screws breaking. Besides companies like Weaver and others have been using alloys for years. I could see a possible problem on some of the larger magnum rifles like the RUMS, Weatherby, or Lapua but you don't have to worry about it with a .260. Besides if you lock your rings into the slots properly when mounting the scope it shouldn't shift under recoil.

Last edited:

Eppie

I would call the Savage parts department. I just ordered a Picatinny scope base for my Savage 10. Savage uses Evolution rails but it's cheaper buying from Savage then they are at Midway, Brownells or Evolution.