Best out of box load?

jakec2789

I am in the military, and am all have been all over the country this year with many opportunities to hunt. I will be in the same situation next year. Lots of traveling with a week or so at a time in between TDY's and homestation to hunt. I currently shoot 150gr Hornady SST rounds. I am wanting a suitable load for elk sized animal. Possibly even bison (if a .308 will even kill a bison.) Will this round work? Or should I step up to a heavier grain bullet?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I am only accustomed to Deer size or smaller game, so i don't have the knowledge of what is a good rifle round. Will there be a better cartridge for game from deer up to elk? I was looking at Federal Premiums, but both companies claim controlled expansion. Is one better than the other?

Horseman

SST is not a robust enough bullet for elk and especially bison IMO. I'd look for Nosler Partition in the Fed. premium line.

bcarver

1+

I use Nosler partition and sierra grand slam.

Bison were killed with bows before rifles.
The only problem I see is shot placement.
The heart may not be where you think.
Bison can be shaggy but a bullet to the heart is gonna kill it.
These are large amimals for .308 win.
Just be sure of range/bullet drop and shot placement until you know bullet performance/penetration.
You may not get the "pass through" shot on bigger game so your blood trail may not be as good as you are used to.
Be confident that you shot the animal well and keep tracking.
Good luck and thanks for your service.

Osageshooter

I agree with the Nosler partition comments and would consider the Barnes XBT. I would consider a 300 mag for bison and elk if it is in your budget. There are a lot of very good 180 grain loads for this size animal. If you are going to really get into this size game, a 338 might be ideal. Use the 308 for deer.

crimsondave

.30-06 IMO is the baseline for elk and the bare min. for any bison outfitter I have seen (too light IMO.) IMO, .30-06 is a good min. for elk, with a .300 mag being the min for bison. It's a big gun, but the .375 H&H is quite versatile for mid to large game. You can buy ammo from 200 grains up to 350 grains.

I would not use .308 for either, but as the other poster said, people killed them with bows so...

P.S.: Nosler Partitions are GREAT bullets.

fyimo

A 308 will kill about any animal with the right bullet and good shot placement. A double lung center chest shot will kill any animal quickly. I'd use a Nolser partiton bullet or Federal Preimum ammo in 180 grain with a barnes X bullet or other premium bullet.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Hornady has been the most consistent in the widest variety of guns and cartridges in my experience. I have NO experience with anything in 308 however.

Buzzcook

I used Remington Corelokt on elk with no problem. It was the only time I used out of the box ammo for elk.

My advice would be to try several different types of ammo out of your rifle and pick the one that shoots the best.

The .308 will work fine and dandy on both elk and bison.

Swampghost

45-70 and 50-90 were the classic bison rounds. The 45-70 seems to be undergoing a revival.

For 50yrs. I've read that the 30-30 has taken every big game on this continent. That doesn't mean that it's the BEST round, just that it can do it. Personally, I'd consider the 30-06 with heavy bullets the minimum.

Jimro

Winchester Failsafe.

Not going to get any tougher than that out of the box without goint to a Barnes X bullet, but easier to find Failsafe ammo. 165gr or heavier will do you for elk. Heaviest you can get for bison.

Jimro

handlerer

One of the first documentaries I watched, on Montana PBS, after moving to Montana almost five years ago, was a hour long documentary about the Bison season in Montana. It is quite controversial. When the Bison leave the park and wander onto pubic land, wildlife and fisheries calls the drawn tags number, and tells where to meet them to harvest their bison. A large group of protesters are allowed to videotape all of it and chant and wave signs, saying this is not a sport, they had commentators pro and con. I am an avid hunter, but what happened made me really cringe for this poor guy, who shot this bison six times with a 300WM. It took almost twenty minutes to die The bison moved onto private land, before it died and this little old woman, who had her grandchildren that day, said to the Mike was "Get it over over with please!" My point is these things are not an easy kill, you need to use the right bullet in the right chambering, and make the right shot. One fellow who had also had his tag drawn, said " It may not really be sport, but it is a 1000 Lbs of taco meat, and a valuable hide" If my tag ever gets drawn I'll use the 340 WBY, left to me by my uncle, and hope I get it right. It also showed a guy drop one with one shot using 338WM. I think it might have been the dudes bullet choice. His hunt turned into propoganda. There is a story hear about about a french tourist, who wasn't content with pictures of the of this big bull lying on the ground, so he goes over and kicks it on the nose. Fatal mistake. Receives a Darwin award.

Rob96

I read an interview with an outfitter in Montana. He stated he would rather see a client show up with a well worn 308 than a brand spanking new 300 Win Mag.

I have both a308 and a 45/70. If ever I get the chance to hunt for bison or elk I am going to have a real hard time choosing which rifle.

Horseman

Winchester Failsafe.

Not going to get any tougher than that out of the box without goint to a Barnes X bullet, but easier to find Failsafe ammo. 165gr or heavier will do you for elk. Heaviest you can get for bison.

Jimro

Haven't the failsafes been discontinued? They are indeed a tough bullet and would work well on bison but my reloading shop clearanced out all the failsafes 2 years ago.

zxd9

The 165gr Nosler Accubond has been very accurate in my .308. Nosler web site says the Accubond is for big game.

hobunchastuf

Federal Premiums with 165 grain Noslers make a nice clover leaf pattern with five shots at 100 AND have good expansion on game. My .308s love 'em.

Jimro

Horseman,

You are right, the Failsafe has been discontinued, replaced by the XP3 bullet which is the same thing minus the steel cup around the lead base.

Unfortunately they only offer the 308 Win XP3 in a 150 gr bullet now.

I've been handloading WAY too long....

Jimro

Palmetto-Pride

I think that a .308win would work fine on elk shot placement is the key for any round. I use Hornady 130gr Interbonds on deer and very seldom have to go looking for any deer I shoot.

brian923

First off, thank you for your service.

308 winchester is such a versitial round. I would feel fine using my 308 savage to hunt elk, bison, and black bear. As was stated earlier, bow and arrows have been killing North American beast for centuries.

If you keep your shots in the respectibale ranges, you do not have to go the way of the magnum. Dont get me wrong, I love magnum rifles, but i dont see the need for one to hunt deer, bear, elk, moose... again, if the ranges are kept to ethical distances. Me, myself, I like the spot and stalk aspect of hunting. Trying to take an animal on its terms make hunting all that more enjoyable. If you are looking to take an animal at extreme distances, then youll need to go the magnum route, just to give you that extra umph needed for the extrem range.

Thanks again, Brian.

James R. Burke

I agree with the Nosler Partition, that is all myself and wife use for deer, and it would no doubt be good for elk. I am sure there are some other good ones out there. Your .308 would work, but I know doubt would go bigger if you can. .30-06 or larger.