Best of reloading educational manuals?

clayking

I've loaded shotgun shells for many years, but have loaded handgun ammo for only about a year. I have the ABC's of Reloading, but would like to step up to something more "substantial". Not so much for the loads, but for the art of reloading. Suggestions?.........................ck

Bud Helms

I don't have the very newest of these, but Lyman and Hornady use to be the best around for learning all about reloading and why each and every step was necessary AND what happened when you deviated from the steps recommended. Those two were the absolute best tutorial reloading books I ever read. Hornady did not include the lead bullet and black powder and Pyrodex found in Lyman, but it was probably better for modern powders and bullets. They both took it to a high enough level that I still consult them on occasion. Absolute gold.

TimRB

If you can get past his maddening writing style, Handloading for Competition by Glen Zediker has a lot of good info.

Tim

Edward429451

The older manuals have good info that the newer ones do not have. I use my Lyman 46th almost as much as the 47 & 48th.

The old NRA "Handloading" manual is a goodie if you can find one.

The data in the older manuals is usually defunct due to powder reformulations & such, but the articles & reference material is not. Plus if you ever happen to come across some older powder, you have the data for it. Just doublecheck the powder section to see if they was using Dupont, Hercules, etc..

temmi

The A-square manual, “Any Shot You Want” I found it to be very informative about most aspects of reloading .

"Handloading for Competition by Glen Zediker"

I know Glen. Good guy. He was writing articles for publication in American Rifleman when I was editing for the magazine.

TimRB

"He was writing articles for publication in American Rifleman when I was editing for the magazine."

Send him your resume. He seems to think that now that he owns the publishing company, he no longer needs an editor.

Tim

amamnn

The current Hornady manual has a lot of ballistics and technical detail info for their bullets and loads in it. Worth the money if you need the info and/or plan to shoot a lot of Hornady bullets.
As for Mr. Z, I think he tends to get confused when he ventures into areas beyond his competence, which explains some of his verbiage.