Best Muzzleloader for a beginner?

abrahamsmith

First of all, yes, I realize that this might be somewhat more appropriate in the BlackPowder/CAS section, but that has almost no traffic, so I'd never get an answer...

I'm looking into buying a muzzleloader for the first time. I'm thinking getting a kit becasue I've wanted a craft/gunsmithing project for a while. I'm thinking under $200

Anyway, are there kits or rilfes which are particularly good (or bad?) in that price range? What should one look for in a muzzleloader that's different from a cartridge gun?

What kind of accuracy can I expect from a modern muzzleloader?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

biganimal

abe
I recomend the CVA Hawkins for a kit gun, fairly in expensive and easy to shoot also very accurate when finished. But for ease of loading and firing for the beginner I recomend CVA's Eclipse in line rifle they don't get any easier and they are under $160.

Noban

The CVA brand is decent, as are the Hawken replicas sold by Cabella's. In any case, I would recommend you start with a cap lock that has a hooked breach. That way you can easily disassemble the rifle for hot water cleaning, the only way to really clean up after blackpowder shooting.

I happen to have a Lyman Great Plains rifle ($300 range) and it has performed flawlessly. I've never had a misfire in over 2000 rounds.

Good luck

abrahamsmith

Noban:
Can you explain what you mean by a "hooked breach"?

Like I said, I'm new to this.. not familiar with all the terms...

Tropical Z

Ditto on the CVA products.I have the Eclipse musketmag and its a great value.You might also consider their bobcat rifle if you don't want an inline.I'd stay away from a flintlock,at least for now.Go with an inline or caplock.WWW.sportsmansguide.com sometimes has some good deals as does Cabelas.:)

On many muzzleloaders, the breachplug (the part which screws onto the rear portion of the barrel) is integral with the tang. A hooked breach gun has a separate tang (which like other tangs, is screwed into the stock). The hooked breach is a plug which, like the regular breachplug, seals off the breach end of the barrel. However, it features a "hook" which mates with a corresponding cutout in the tang which secures the barrel to the tang. This makes the gun easier to disassemble to clean the barrel and the area around the flinthole or drum.

CD1

Abraham,

Let me throw this in. I know you said 200 bucks and you wanted to build one yourself...BUT....The Knight DISC rifle i got last year is the best muzzle loader Ive used. It can take 150 grains of pyrodex, uses a number 209 primer, breech plug comes out for SUPER easy cleaning, and its as accurate as the day is long. I zeroed the gun at 150 yards, it will accurately reach out a little beyond 200 yards. My old black powder rifle required a cleaning in hot water (the tub) every time. REALLY a pain in the butt. The knight cleans up like a rifle, 15 minutes and Im done. If its for hunting Id say get the very best you can afford. Best in this case meaning best features for you, not necessarily the most expensive. I know its nice to have a good classic looking muzzle loader, but when it comes time to hunt, I need a gun that can reach out there. Just wanted to throw that into your decision making process.

gunmart

watch the movie patriot and you will get hooked on flintlocks.

ck out the tvm line of flintlocks if you agree.

K

KilgorII

I've heard very good things about Austin and Halleck rifles.

http://www.mlhunter.com has what I think is the best price on them going. The A & H 320 is $302 delivered to your door.

The Austin & Halleck 320 is a synthetic stocked .50 caliber inline that will take 150 grain magnum charges. It also has an adjustable Timney trigger. I've heard accuracy is top rate. Read around on their website and you will learn a lot.

I have no experience with these rifles, but they seem to be well liked. Also, go to http://www.huntchat.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro and go to the muzzleloader forum. There is mucho information on muzzle loaders.

I've been looking around myself lately to get into muzzle loader shooting.

Kilgor

[Edited by KilgorII on 03-06-2001 at 08:25 PM]

Don't discount a Civil War musket. Those Minie Balls deliver very satisfying accuracy when compared against the patched round ball.

gunmart

knight rifles are great.i own 4 of them.they are easy to take down and have great triggers.i have personally hunted with two people that waited till the last min to sight them in and both of the guns were sighted in good enough from the factory to hunt with.

they have green mountain barrel's and timney triggers in there upper end models.

even their american knights shoot like a dream..

CD1

Abraham,

The Knight DISC rifle (most of their rifles I believe), has a removable breech plug. Its basically like cleaning a bolt action rifle. Once the plug is out, just run your patches and jags through. In addition to that the whole weapon can be taken down with just 2 or 3 allen screws, all the same size and the wrench is provided. The Timney trigger is sweeeeeeeet. The in line ignition is fast and reliable, once I put the DISC insert in and close the bolt I dont have to worry about the rain, its sealed out. In addition to that, the DISC will take 150 grains of powder which really gets you some range.

In contrast my old rifle was a Thompson Center Renegade. The gun was a bear to clean. I had to put it in the tub with warm soapy water and ram it from the muzzle end over and over to clean it. The wife really didnt like all my black powder crap in her bathtub, but that was the least of my worries. It took forever to get it clean. In addition to that the percussion cap ignition wasnt all that great. There was a distinct pause between the hammer hitting the percussion cap and the load going off. Not a huge delay but enough that I had to be disciplined to not move before the load went off. The trigger sucked. It wouldnt be fair to talk about the accuracy b/c the gun was owned/abused by somebody before me.

If its for hunting, go with a Knight DISC if you can. If its just for shooting get whatever is appealing. I certainly like the looks of the traditional muzzle loaders, but if Im allowed to use a modern in line like the DISC, no question about it, Im going to get the Knight. Good luck, let us know what you get.

CD