Best medium sized auto for IWB carry?

The Meatman

I am an admitted "Wheel Gun Guy" and I'm not ashamed of that fact, but I need something I can conceal a bit more easily IWB. I have read a bit about automatics (again I openly admit I know VERY little about them) and I know I'm wanting a single stack for the slimness. Caliber is a non issue as I am comfortable firing anything, and I am again admittedly leaning towards 1911 (I currently own one auto a Ruger P95 9mm and it's just to thick, but I love it.) Thoughts? Suggestions? I am NOT considering a KelTec, or Ruger LCP, I've handled both, and I'm not sure if I want to put my life in the hands of something so flimsy. Just as an aside, I currently carry a Taurus ultralight .38 (go ahead and bash away, but I like it) but it's a bit too wide in the waistband carry, and I carry alot of crap in my pockets, so pocket carry is out too. I've tried the DeSantis Nemesis for my .38 and like I said I need my pockets. Sorry for the book.

I would say a 1911 for you since they are quite slim. Kahr pistols are very slim and you can conceal them easily. How about a Hk P7. Pretty slim but a bit on the heavy side. You dont sound like your really into Glocks but how about the Glock 36 single stack .45acp? Those are the ones I would consider. I carry a Glock 19 IWB by the way.

BamaBowtie

Taurus MilPro. 9mm 12+1, .40 10+1, .45 10+1 they are about the smallest double stack pistols available and have great ergonomics.

HK123

A 1911 is probably going to be a top choice because of how thin it is.

I have to pick a gun that doesn't weigh a ton so I'd say something like a HK P2000/USPc/P30(with undershirt as the grip rubs you raw lol), or a Glock would work nicely.

Not all 1911s are heavy, but when you carry a gun like a Glock 19 or similar all day that 1911 feels like a tank is strapped to your side.

DWARREN123

I totate between a GLOCK 23 (compact) and 27 (sub-compact) in 40 S&W. I find the 27 very easy to carry IWB. The 23 is easy to carry also but the 27 is a more compact size.
It has to fit you and feel right no matter what brand or model/caliber.

Last edited:

The Meatman

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really like that Para .45, and I am definitely leaning that way. One of the nice things about being a large frame guy, is I don't mind a bit of extra heft in my handgun, and my love handles could use the work anyway :)

Thanks also for suggesting the single stack Glock, I was curious if they made one, now I know.

Semi-jacketed

If I would have to carry IWB for whatever reason (I prefer to carry OWB) it would be with a Colt LTW Commander or Para LTC Alloy in a medium-sized semi-auto.

The design is slim and relatively light.

ImDisaster

A single stack will be slimmer...but with an IWB you can easily get away with a compact doublestack, like a Glock, S&W M&P, or the like (which will still be 50% slimmer than a wheelgun and much higher capacity.)

I'm shopping for a single stack but only because I want something I can pocket carry when the IWB and SmartCarry isn't practical.

My carry is a S&W M&P9c.

Most of the time it is in an IWB at 4:00. Works great with cargo shorts and a T-shirt in the summer and an untucked shirt for the fall and winter as casual wear. Fits easily under a sport jacket or suit for more formal wear. Without a belt or with a tucked dress shirt and no jacket I usually go with the SmartCarry.

A single stack pocket carry should cover the few times when those choices are unwieldy or uncomfortable.

plom

a single stack commander would be a good choice, but since you're a revolver guy, the easiest transition for the trigger would be to switch for a DA only auto like a smith & wesson MP9 compact or glock 26 or 19. The Glock 19 offer a great balance between subcompacts and full size.

The Meatman

I've done some research, and I may actually check out the Glock 36, and the Para. I like the idea of a single stack for the slimness, the only drawback I could see (to the 36) was it's only a 6 shot. Choices, choices!

The Meatman

LOL! Great point. I guess I'm thinking higher mag capacity in a smaller package. I've tried concealing my 85UL, it just cuts into the gut a bit more than I'd like (it's only a 5 shot.) Thanks for pointing out my ineptitude :p

The Meatman

I meant to add, I went to the gun shop today and handled a few autos, the Glock 19, 21, and 27. The Sig pro2022?? I think thats the model. Also looked at the Springfield compact .45, S&W M&P .45, the XD 9mm and .40, and even the Kel Tec 9mm. The KT was a bit bigger than the others I've handled, still felt cheap though. I wasn't able to get a feel for the Glock 36 (they didnt have one!) but I like the 27 subcompact. Who knows, I need to find someplace I can shoot a couple and see what fits....Also, here's a new question..

On the Glock, and the KT, the dealer says they are DA. Is it constant DA, or does the hammer stay back once the first round is fired? If so, how do you drop the hammer without firing a round? I didn't see a de-cocker (there's one on my Ruger) and I couldn't figure out how you would safe the weapon once it's live.....I humbly admit my ignorance. Consider this an opportunity to educate rookie to the automatic game.