Best mares leg? Father's Christmas gift

Venom1956

:eek:Every year for Christmas I try and get my dad a fun gun he normal wouldn't get himself but would enjoy. Last year I got him the gsg stg44 and he loves that thing. This year I was considering either a wood AK/AR build or a mares leg pistol. He isn't into modern ar/ak stuff but a retro one might do it.

I know he'd like a mares leg he's oogled them before. Afaik chiappa, Henry and rossi make them and while I'm sure the Henry is probably the nicest it doesn't have that correct look. I don't like Taurus guns and chiappa seems to be a mixed bag aswell. I have considered just getting the 22 henry but it feels a bit tiny for him

So has anyone had any experience with either? I'd like to get a bit more info before I pick one or the other.

sixgunnin

Kind of like the USFA SAA:(
How much are you willing to pay? There are some ranch hands on gunbroker. You could also try finding a Winchester.
What caliber are you looking for?

dgludwig

I AM YOUR FATHER! And my black suit is getting a little tight at the seams. :)

I agree with Scorch: If one is set on getting a "Mare's Leg", Chiappa is probably the best made one in terms of material, workmanship and finish of the relatively few choices to be had.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Have the original Chiappa in .44-40.
Well done.

Have the Rossi, apparently discontinued. After being customized it's a fun critter in .45 Colt.

Have the Henry, in .45 Colt. Well-made, heavy.

Working on getting a sample of the latest 9-inch Chiappa version.
If you can GET a Chiappa, it should be nicely made.
Denis

std7mag

How do you file your paperwork when purchasing?
Unfortunately you have just desribed a "straw" purchase.

Don't get me wrong, i see what your doing with best intent.

DPris

Member Emeritus
A straw purchase is using someone else's money to buy a gun for that person.
It's entirely legal to use your own money to buy one as a gift.
Denis

Venom1956

I've got a Rossi on order and my gun shop has the Henry ordered so basically he can pick whichever he fancies most. Rossi does have a case hardened receiver so I'm not sure what he will go for.

I personally have a 1887 12ga and its a handful but after growing up with T2 I had to have it.

Venom1956

devastating news today...

KYGUNCO contacted me and the Ranch hand I've had on layaway since November apparently doesn't exist... Fantastic news to find out almost a month later. Since the gun is out of production and christmas is in five days. :( They claim it was a computer error but it seems more likely to me that they sold it to someone else by mistake.

I really need your guys help if you could help me find any Rossi ranch hands for sale I would really really be grateful. Gunbroker seems to have some (with double the price) but I am hoping I can find one a bit more reasonable first.

jersurf101

How do you file your paperwork when purchasing?
Unfortunately you have just desribed a "straw" purchase.

Don't get me wrong, i see what your doing with best intent.
Can you not buy the gun and legally transfer it over after giving the gift. Check your state laws, if it is classified as a pistol you might have to go through an FFL. That may not be necessary since he is family. Great gift. I would not hesitate on a Rossi. It may need a little work though