Best long gun cleaning vise??

togliat

I'm looking for something to help hold my long guns when I clean them. Currently, I'm using a PLANO plastic box which works ok but I'm worried that it might not be stable enough and I might have a tipover or sorts.

What support/base do you use when cleaning your rifles and shotguns? Is there a vise that clearly outshines the rest? :confused:

k Squared

More to the Question

Togliat,

I'd like to add to the question instead of answering it.

Everything I've read about cleaning long guns says the barrel should be pointed downward slightly to allow cleaning fluids to flow away from the receiver, but every vise and cleaning box I see advertised holds the barrel perfectly horizontally. What's up with that?

togliat

yes, the muzzle should be lower than the breech

K-squared,

You're correct in that the muzzle ideally is lower than the breech to minimize solvents and crud from getting into the receiver/trigger assembly. The vices that I have seen, such as the "MTM Gunsmith Maintenance Center" do indeed keep the muzzle lower than the breech. Even my PLANO box does that. The "Sinclair Cleaning Cradle" is another example. Sometimes, it is not easy to tell that there is an angle until you actually place the rifle in the cradle saddles and see how the muzzle settles deeper into a lower, thinner groove than the stock, which catches higher in its own, differently-shaped cradle. I hope that makes sense!

:)

Martyn4802

I have two Tipton gun vises that I use. But, there are some beautiful vises made from wood if you want one that looks good too. Midway sells the Tipton vises. I clamp mine to a work table top so they don't move around in use.

Martyn