Best lightweight, long-range anti-armor pistol?

What's the best handgun for use against heavy armor?

• M1911A1 - it's combat-tested

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Same as what we use on bears & terrorists barely visible due to curvature of the earth

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Anything as long as it comes with New Balance running shoes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Doesn't really matter as long as you save the last round....

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VVG

What's the best choice for a sidearm to use in case of attack by heavy armored vehicles? I mean, if handguns are better than nothing against brown bears and distant terrorists, surely it makes sense to be prepared?

It has to be easy to handle and inexpensive. I don't shoot very well with tongue in cheek, and my comedy career doesn't leave much disposable income.

Cee-Zed

Golly, this thread makes me regret that I didn't start one entitled:

"Three Glock-bashers Seriously Injured in Feeding Frenzy."

VVG

Hey, we have threads on which pistol is least unsuitable for protection against Brown Bears, and best techniques for shooting at targets 75-100 yards away in public places, so I figured no use is too absurd to contemplate!

JIH

pistolbig.jpg

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
My vote would be a T/C Encore in .22-250. If you shoot the vehicle commander in the eye, it usually solves the problem...

:p :D

Mannlicher

Don't beat yourself up to bad over this tongue in cheek thread VVG, it is no more stupid than a lot of things folks post here. :)

My vote would go with the canned Ruger 10/22 full auto conversion, and the obligitory Assault Wheelbarrow.

Cee-Zed

Mannlicher,

I believe you have confused the outmoded Assault Wheelbarrow with the more "tactical" All-Terrain Radio Flyer (painted black instead of red, of course).

Okay, how about a sub-compact 9mm? After all, I'm a liar if I ever claim to carry anything bigger...

Blackhawk

Something really small and light so it doesn't slow you down or make it harder to hide. It's parts should be made of plastic, aluminum, stainless or other metals that don't react magnetically to help you avoid detection.

Cee-Zed

Remember that most confrontations with armored vehicles require less than five shots ON AVERAGE. One from the turret gun is usually plenty...

Cee-Zed

"Hey, we have threads on which pistol is least unsuitable for protection against Brown Bears, and best techniques for shooting at targets 75-100 yards away in public places, so I figured no use is too absurd to contemplate!"

You misunderstood me. I cried from laughing when I saw this. I had debated with myself if I would tick off a moderator if I started one entitled something like "Three Glock-bashers Hyperventilate Under Weight of Sheer Rhetoric!" or something like that. I thought it would be funny, but I also think they were getting a little tired of the whole thing.

Please continue. This is so liberating...

Handy

The pistol would have to be small enough to stay lodged in the tank's cannon barrel. Getting it there is more the problem.

VVG

Getting it there is one thing. But as the M1A1 fires a 10+ pound (that's 70,000 + grains) DU round at roughly 6,000 fps, it would simply come back at you, only a lot faster.

So, with the poll officially closed:

- JIH takes the cake!
- it does not make sense to try and use a handgun against an armored vehicle.
- it does not make sense to try and use a handgun against a large, upset bear.
- it does not make sense to use a handgun to shoot at someone unless you can see the whites of their eyes, they're shooting at you, and you won't endanger anyone else. Otherwise, you do what combat infantrymen have been doing for years - get down on your belly and low crawl out of trouble, or in a better position to make more trouble.

(With apologies to all serious posters)