best light-weight revolver

longeyes

I'm looking for recommendations on the best lightweight (easily carryable) revolver in .38 Special (or more potent). I know about the S&W Airlites/Airweights but I'm concerned about recoil with those. Is the Ruger SP-101 a good choice? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

/longeyes/

beemerb

Used model 36 S&W all steel.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

Bandit

I wouldn't consider the SP101 a lightweight compared to the others you mentioned. I do however prefer the SP101 over the others (I own one) simply because I would rather have a few extra ounces in a snubbie.

The SP101 get's my attention when setting off magnum loaded rounds but is controlable. I can only imagine what the new titanium or the new scandium pieces would feel like :eek:

------------------
Rick

[This message has been edited by Bandit (edited September 16, 2000).]

C.R.Sam

Model 36 for .38spec
Model 586 or 686 snub for .357 mag.
Both pre sell out and both quality guns.

Sam....If it goes bang it good, if it go BANG it better.

JJR

I have a couple of the S&W titanium snubby's. Though not intended for recreational shooting, the recoil is really not as bad as many make it out to be. Because of the light weight, the recoil seems to go away as quickly as it comes. This makes (for me anyway) for quicker follow-up shots than I get my steel J-frames.

For me, any recoil concerns are more than made up for by the fact that these guns are absolutely wonderful to carry. You can carry them in the chest pocket of a dress shirt if you want to. And forget about ankle holsters... you can carry them in your sock!

Of course, now that S&W has taken on the role of gun owner antichrist, you'll have to find a used one and that's hard to do. I have not yet had the chance to shoot one of the Taurus versions, but they seem very similar in weight. Best of luck in your decision.

Richard

I don't think of a Ruger as a light weight. I own and shoot a S&W 37 and that is ideal for me. I wouldn't want to shoot any 38 special that is lighter and I have no desire to even try a light weight 357 magnum. Why? The recoil from a 38 will get your attention in these things! Regards, Richard.

jimmy

Agreed with JJR.

For an ultra-lightweight .38 Special, I find the S&W 342PD AirLite Ti to be remarkably comfortable to shoot, even using +P. I suspect this is due to the Hogue Bantam grips. But, yes, finding a used (or pre-pact?) one can be a problem.

I guess Hogue Bantams could be placed on an older round-butt Model 37 with equal effect, although of course not with as little weight as the AirLite Ti.

Torpedo

I guess I'm from the old school when it comes to snubbies. I'm not too crazy for the lightweight guns. I prefer the all steel models for several reasons. First I think the extra weight aids in recoil reduction. Secondly most lightweight models are not meant to have steady diets of +P ammunition. I think that were I to choose I would pick S&W model 36 or maybe a 649 or a 640. The latter two guns are hammerless (Or concealed hammer) and lend themselves well to side pocket holsters, which I like for concealed carry. I think that the Ruger model 101 is a good choice too. Might also look at the Charter arms undercover. These are just my thoughts. I hope that whatever gun you decide on, serves you well.

------------------
***Torpedo***
It's a good life if you can survive it!

[This message has been edited by Torpedo (edited September 17, 2000).]

parabellum

S&W 638 Bodyguard. 15 ounces, +P rated, corrosion resistant. Less expensive and finicky than the Airlite Ti revolvers. Plus the Airlite TI guns are not available in the Bodyguard configuration, which IMO is the best of both worlds. The shrouded hammer allows for a smooth and snag free draw from concealment, yet can still be cocked for a single action shot. And all that stuff about getting a dime stuck in the shroud and preventing the gun from firing is nonsense. Armchair commando BS from folks who've never carried a Bodyguard. Definitely the thinking man's pocket revolver.