Best LER rifle scope

Dirty_Harry

I was lucky enough to finally be able to purchase a Springfield Scout Squad rifle. I am looking at all the Scout rifle optics. What's available? I had a hilux that I liked, and I know of the Burris and Leupold options. Is that it?

Thanks

Ps, I prefer something that isn't a fixed power.

wpsdlrg

Nikon 2 - 8 x 28 is very nice. About $289.

Bear in mind that eye relief is critical with forward-mounted, LER scopes. The higher the magnification setting on the variable scopes of this type, the shorter the eye relief will be. So, where you mount the scope must be a bit of a compromise. Because of that, I've always preferred fixed magnification scopes for this kind of application.

I use a fixed 2X on my "scout" rifle, which I don't use as a high precision target rifle. I can shoot this rifle to 200 yards, with reasonable accuracy (4" or so, off a rest). That is all I expect of this setup. Certainly good enough for hunting (which I no longer do).....or for when the zombies come over the hill.

My favorite is the Nikon Omega / Turkey Pro / Slugmaster in 1.65-5x36mm config. They are discontinued but you can find them - try Natchez SS.

On 1.65x, they will work from 5.5" to over 13" of ER. Going up to 5x, they have about 5.0" of ER. So if set in the 7-9" ER range (typical of scout type setups), you are good for 1.65x up to at least 3.0x but really about 3.5x or so.

These even work on handguns if you leave them on 1.65x. Glad I bought a bunch of them. They are great on AR15s, handguns, scout rifles, or even traditional placement.