Best Lead Bullet????

tonyz

Hi All

I am looking for differant opinions on which lead alloy bullet is the best.

mostly in 9MM ,380 also 38SPC.

I would Injoy all inputs on which bullet and why?

Thanks Tony

Paul B.

Tony. More info. Are you casting your own, or buying commercially? What purpose? Targets? Small game? Certainly not self defense.
BTW. Many 9MM's will not shoot cast lead bullets accurately. I've never cast any bullets for the .380. (yet) I like 141 to 148 gr. wadcutters for targets and small game. 158 gr. semi-wadcutters for practice, to duplicate factory Plus-P loads.
Give me more info and I'll try to help.
Paul B.

tonyz

I Shoot a P95 ruger, bursa 380, And ruger GP100 357/38.

The loads are for target shooting. For fun not match.And I buy commercal bullets.

Paul B.

Tony. What I would do is try various bullet shapes sold by commercial casters. My Ruger P-85 shoots round nose, conical bullets into 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards. My Smith & Wesson won't do better with anything, lead or jacketed. It's good across a room, but that's all. 4 inches at 25 yards. The Taurus PT-99 won't feed lead at all. :( In fact the only load it likes is Remington 115 gr. jacketed hollow points. 2 inches at 25.
I use 141 gr. wadcutters for light loads, 150 and 158 gr semi-wadcutters for moderate to relatively hot loads, and 170 gr. semi-wadcutters for the really hot loads in my .357's. 158 and 170's are gas checked. Depending on the loads 1.5 to 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards.
I cast my own bullets, with the exception of the 125 gr. round noses in the 9MM. Just haven't gotten around to getting the mold yet.
I just got dies for a PPK/s in .380, but I don't have a mold for that one yet either.
There's a gun show this weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the molds I need. :)
One thing is important. Your lead bullets should be hard. Soft bullets usually don't feed well. Another thing. Slug your barrel on the 9MM. They're supposed to be .355 to .356 inch in diameter, but my Taurus and Ruger are both .3568 inch. The Smith has 5 grooves and is difficult to measure, but it looks like .357 inch. I feel bullets should be at least .001 inch larger than groove diameter. My .357's are sized to .359 inch and 9MM's to .358 inch. Works for me.
Need any more help, just holler.
Paul B.

tonyz

Thanks Paul

I have sluged my barrel, and it measures
.3558, So all is good there. What I have Being doing is trying different loads with different manufactures. Copper Plated seem to work best,in my 9MM 115 grain from Hardcast Bullet Co. But it has not liked any of the lead bullets I have tryed. I have a shipment of SWC 125 grain lazer cast that sould be here today.They claim accuracy :eek:

My 380 Likes about anything lead or plated.
I can get a 3 inch group at 25 yards. But can't do better then 3 1/2 with my 9MM. 38 with 158 grain SWC Shoots fine. :cool:

Thanks paul

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited February 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited February 02, 2000).]