Best IWB belt/holster

Tucker 1371

Just turned 21 Saturday so I plan to start carrying my PT1911 with a rail (no opinions on Taurus please). I need a holster that will conceal it, preferably in hot or cold weather. I am about 5'7" and 150lbs.

I really liked the Crossbreed Supertuck but on the drop down menu it lists "1911 WITH rail ALL except Taurus" so I think that ones out, guess Taurus has a funny shaped rail.

Don't know where to start on a belt, 5.11 Tactical maybe?

So, any ideas?

FoxtrotRomeo

If you compare, you'll notice the rail on the PT drops down a lil more. Not sure what to tell you, my PT doesn't have a rail so I don't have that issue. I can say this, you drop an 18.5 lb Wolff recoil spring in there like the smiths do at Quantico and you shouldn't have much trouble with HPs and recoil. Improves time spent on target too. (I did it to my PT. I love.)

Maybe somebody has an answer to this one.

If the instructor has range time for his classes. You shouldn't have much trouble qualifying with the PT. I didn't ;)

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/jollyroger200/?action=view&current=DSCF5027.jpg

Kreyzhorse

The Beltman ( www.beltman.net ) makes about the best leather belts I've ever seen. They aren't cheap, but they stand up to a heavy gun and they retain their stiffness.

Trust me on this, don't cheap out on your belt if you are going to carry a lot. In my opinion, a good gun belt is actually more important than the holster although a good holster is pretty damn important too.

Mr. James

^^^^^

True, dat! For years, I made do with a cheap belt. When I finally opened my wallet to buy a decent one, it made all the difference in the world. If you're going to carry a steel-framed full-size 1911, you are going to want a quality belt. The Beltman comes highly recommended. I picked up my belt at a gun show from Wild Bill's Concealment (www.wildbillsconcealment.com/shop).

Galco, Bianchi and others also make decent gun belts.

Organic

When customizing the SuperTuck scroll down to "Taurus 1911 WITH RAIL." If you're still unsure send a query to Marty at CrossBreed. I emailed him with several questions before purchasing mine and he responded with alacrity.

I tried several cheap holsters before deciding to shell out the cash on a SuperTuck and belt. I don't think you would be disappointed in their setup. I know I love mine, even comfortable when I'm at my desk or in the truck all day.

VHinch

As mentioned above, the Supertuck is available for railed Taurus PT1911.

Not a fan of the 5.11 belts. Their gear tends to be low-mid grade, and wouldn't be high on my list for an everyday carry belt. If you want a riggers style belt, I like Ares Gear. Wilderness makes a quality riggers belt as well, and I used one for daily carry for several year, but I replaced it with Ares Gear Ranger and have been carrying on it for almost a year now, and it's far and away superior to any other rigger style belt I've tried.

For leather, I like the Beltman as many others have mentioned. Any of the quality leather holster makers will have excellent leather belts available as well.

ClydeFrog

Good 1911a1 holsters-rigs...

I look into the Milt Sparks, High Noon Holsters, Ted Blocker(LFI rig), Greg Kramer, Mitch Rosen, Blade-tech, Blackhawk SERPA.

Any of those firms are respected and have great kit, ;).

If you plan to OC(open carry) a lot, I'd get a 1911a1 SERPA. It comes in different colors and should fit the Taurus 1911a1 .45acp.

Tucker 1371

Wow, feeling dumb now,just found the Supertuck for my gun.

FoxtrotRomeo, thanks for the tip on the spring. Mine feeds FMJs great, no stoppages yet. I'm a little hesitant to put it in because I am a "if it aint broke don't fix it" kind of guy but I may at some point.

Thanks for the leads on belts KreyzHorse and Mr. James, looking into it now. My gut says go with the widest belt I can find, 1-3/4", am I right?

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

Thanks for the leads on belts KreyzHorse and Mr. James, looking into it now. My gut says go with the widest belt I can find, 1-3/4", am I right?

I've always went with 1.5" belts. Mine is a horse hide version and it has no issues supporting a full size all steel 1911. I've had the belt going on 3 years and it's still as stiff as it was the first day I wore it.

I think you'd be fine going with the 1.5" version.