Best intro M1A

I don't know squat about the current market for M1A type rifles, and my contractor was asking for my opinion.

So, what seems to be the best intersection of price and quality these days if my contractor wanted to get himself one?

T. O'Heir

Depends on what you want to do with it. Also depends on your contractor's budget.
A walnut stocked with stock military style sights, Standard's MSRP is $1,786.00. A walnut stocked Loaded with match sights and a match grade barrel is $1,961.00. (Gallery of Guns prices.)
Have a semi'd Winchester with the issue fibreglass stock that is a dream to lug around(no idea what it weighs. The original plan was to put a walnut stock on it to reduce muzzle jump, but the ATF exported their 'Once an MG...' nonsense.). Even though the weight difference between current synthetic stock vs walnut isn't much. Half a pound according to SA Inc. Might matter if you're hunting with it in all those places with a lot of 'up'.

4EVERM-14

Like any purchase it all depends on how the rifle will be used.
I'm a fan of the standard configuration. The shorter barrel models can fill many needs but I think the full size offers more options.

1stmar

I have a scout as well and love it. Shoots very well, pretty handy, like the option of irons or scope. Great rifle.

"Also depends on your contractor's budget."

Well, considering how much money I've given him over the last couple of months, I think he can afford a solid gold one...

bfoosh006

What is your contractor looking to do with it ?

I have to ask because of the large differences in accuracy between the various models.

My M21 is a good for about 1 MOA with good ammo... which is outstanding for the M1A platform.

But after about 150rds... I have to clean the gas piston etc in order to keep that accuracy.

And again... for the most part that is not the norm for a M1A.

I also admit I am not a fan of 16" .308's.... I feel like there is to much muzzle blast and wasted velocity compared to a 22" barrel.

I have never heard of not cleaning the gas piston would affect accuracy. I cleaned mine well after 150 rounds when I would tip the rifle up and down and not hear the piston going back and forth

bfoosh006

It is routine as clock work on my rifle... I can see the groups opening up.

It will reach a limit on the bigger group size... but I prefer the smaller groups.

And if I am going to wear out the barrel ( :) ) I would rather it be as precise as possible.

Especially at the cost of match ammo. ( reloads or not. )

Road_Clam

There's no a lot of options out there for M1A'a as far as brand if that's what you are asking. Either you pay about $1300 for a base model from Springfield or you start climbing up the cost ladder to get match component models, all the way up to a custom built M1a to your specs. I went with the S/A M1A loaded in walnut. $1540 from my LGS. Very nice quality considering some of the questionable quality of production guns in this day and age of cheap mass production.

BTW, tell your contractor the sickness will not stop after purchasing an M1A, as the only way to truly scratch the itch is to ALSO buy an M1 Garand ! Don't bother trying to resist...

Last edited:

Screwball

Best suggestion, look for a used gun...

I picked up a early 1990s N/M M1A (with USGI parts from the factory) for less than an identical new version (wood stock, stainless barrel). Had less than 50 rounds through it.

M14 Forum is a great place to pick one up. I found mine on there, and the seller was within 40 minutes from me.