Best Inexpensive .308 with Synthetic Stock?

joe1347

Besides answering Savage anytime someone asks which is the best inexpensive centerfire rifle, is there a better choice if the buyer prefers a nice looking Synthetic Stock instead of the childs toy grade synthetics on a Savage? The rifle would be used for Deer and possibly elk hunting and the preferred calibre is .308 or 30-06.

My initial suggested alternative was a Remington SPS - but that was just from looking at the online catalog. Yes, I admit it, I've never 'matured' beyond owning inexpensive wood stocked Savage rifles. Just too cheap to buy anything 'prettier'.

700_sps_780.jpg

kmullins

I'm not a hunter, but if your on the hunt I don't think you would want one of those heavy barreled varmint rifles. Too much weight to be trekking around with.

Uncle H

Mossberg and Marlin come to mind. Ruger's aren't all that spendy either.

But, what do I know? I'm a Savage guy. :)

jmr40

Weatherby is selling the Vanguard for $399 now and they are available in 308. I like the Rifle, but they are too heavy for my tastes but you may like them just fine.

I really like the looks of the new Marlin, but have not handled the short action. I would think they would be fine.

The Ruger Hawkeye in stainless synthetic is probably the most expensive and may not be considered a budget gun but you are getting stainless and they come with rings so I consider them a bargain for the money.

The Tikka is probably the most accurate and will fall somewhere between the Ruger and Weatherby in price.

sholling

The answer is Tikka's T3 Lite. A well made very ridged stock. 6.2lbs. Guarantied sub-MOA accuracy, ultra slick action and a great trigger.

IMG_0242a.jpg

joe1347

I'm not a hunter, but if your on the hunt I don't think you would want one of those heavy barreled varmint rifles. Too much weight to be trekking around with.

Possibly I'm mistaken, but I don't think that the Rem SPS is considered a varmint rifle at 7.25 lbs?

XD45Compact

If you can pick up a 2009 model Savage...many of the synthetic stock models come with the new Accustock, which are really sweet!

danweasel

Mine is a stevens 200. Paid $280 for it in December. It shot 2 seperate 4 round sub MOA (exactly 1" at 120 yards) groups off of the bipod on Saturday and I have only been shooting bolt rifles for about 100 rounds or so. This was with South African battle ammo. I've got some high hopes for this gun, for sure.

The trigger sucks though. But like I said, it is the best trigger I have ever had on a BA rifle so, you know, I can adjust. But all I'm sayin' is the tapco trigger on my AK is better. Ha!

spikespeigel

Well if synthetic didn't matter I would suggest frequenting your local walmart and pick up a Remington 700 ADL with a laminate stock like I did. Only $350 on sale... Much easier to glass bed than a synthetic. Looks classier too...

dogngun

Sorry, but I'd buy the Savage anyway.

I'm saving up to buy one this fall, just haven't decided which Savage.....

I have owned Remington, Ruger and Winchester rifles.

Savage anyway.

mark

joe1347

Haven't seen any what you could call studio quality photos - but the newer Savage Accustock does appear to be higher quality with regards to appearance than their standard synthetic stock.

bojack2575

Yes 600.00 is cheap for a rifle of that quality they also have a 3 shot MOA guarantee. (Which means they guarantee that, with the right ammo you can shoot a 3 shot group 1 inch or less at 100 yds)

levrluvr

I'm not sure if they are being marketed yet, but the new Marlin XS7 would definitely be worth a look. If they are as good as the XL7's have been and are priced the same, I would take a look. They are accurate, have an excellent trigger, and have been sold on sale at places like Cabelas for as little as $269. That leaves a lot of room for an excellent scope without having too much invested overall.

iron bracelets

Mossberg's 100 Atr in .308 is an awesome gun for the price! I bought the youth model as I am a 5'4" female. It fits perfect by the time you add hunting clothes. I was surprised at how smooth the bolt was.

sholling

Boy, I like the looks of that Tikka, but is $600 a cheap rifle?
$520 in blue is very cheap for that quality. Cheaper than an equivalent Savage. And the trigger can be adjusted down to 2lbs without dealing with the strangeness of Savage's Accutrigger. Not that I don't like Savage because I do - a lot, but I just prefer Tikka's trigger.

Of course if price is the only criteria then Howa's are fine $400 rifles. Accurate but not as accurate, a lot heavier, and with mushy very bendable stocks. But still I think Howas are the best of the $400 rifles.

Last edited: