Best gun buy I ever made ... Canik TP9

WildBill45

No local shops carried a new Canik TP9, but one yesterdaysaid they had a used one ... I went down and this one is used only due to being traded in, but it is new. It looks as if the previous owner ever shot it! The gun was dry, no marks, with no signs of use whatsoever!!! It came with 3 mags, holster, and extra grip panel... It is a beautiful gun, and well built, one of those deals at $285.00 that come around every so often. I can't wait to shoot it, and that will be soon...

I don't know why it is not carried around here as far as I can tell, as this is a great deal for someone in need of a protection gun at a very reasonable price, an unbelievable price in fact!!! :D

Attachments

• TP9 3 sm.jpg
    TP9 3 sm.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 108
  • TP9 2 sm.jpg
    TP9 2 sm.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 179
  • TP9 sm.jpg
    TP9 sm.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

I'd never heard of one prior to your post. Does look like a decent gun.

Congrats and enjoy!

WildBill45

Let me know how it turns out.

Look for a post soon on how it shoots, works, feels, and performs all around. It has a good feel to it, balance, weight, and grip to hand match that is sweet!!

steelbird

I have one - picked it up over the summer. It works well, but it did have an issue of shooting low and to the left when I first tested it out off a rest. I had to adjust the rear sight accordingly, and filed down the front. I've heard that the low and left thing is a common issue with these guns, but as mentioned, it can be corrected. It also seems to be more accurate for me when I shoot it cover target - not a six o' clock, like the way I've heard that the European guns seem to do.
For me, it seems to shoot the 147's better than 115's - but that's me, not the gun. I'm used to shooting .45ACP and 45Colt in handgun types - slower, heavier loads. Took me a little while to figure that out, but now that I have, I'm happy with it. Haven't tried 124's with it yet.

TunnelRat

It also seems to be more accurate for me when I shoot it cover target - not a six o' clock, like the way I've heard that the European guns seem to do.

I'd argue most modern defensive pistols are set up for a cover hold. Glock, SIG, S&W, HK, etc.

I have handled them but not fired one personally. I did hear they are coming out with a sort of Ver 2.0 with some changes to the finish and grip texturing as well as more rail slots and steel sights. You can see the changes here:
http://www.canik55.com/pages_sub.php?id=33&module_type=2&module_id=14

As well as a SA variant that won't be DA/SA but have a single trigger mode. (I imagine it will be similar to the P99 QA and that the decocker will release the striker rendering the pistol inert until cocked):
http://www.canik55.com/pages_sub.php?id=33&module_type=2&module_id=14

guncheese

per the other tp-9 thread running now
i have over 5000 rounds thru mine
it was my EDC for well over a year
i shoot it alot along with a bunch of other guys at the range
they love the trigger (its a great trainer on finding/feeling heck HEARING the reset)
i have 4 magazines for it and i keep them full
and a P99 leather holster will fit mighty fine
had this one made for me by Dave at Sturdy Belt
rLROKZ

WildBill45

i keep them full
and a P99 leather holster will fit mighty fine

Nice holster... I just tried mine in my Crossbreed, which was originally made for my SR45 Ruger and fits all my big bore Glocks ... 30S & 41 ... it now fits my TP9:D My Ruger holster made by Mitch Rosen for my Ruger SR 45, and now fits my TP9 ... Cool eh?

GreySmoke

I have one in desert sand. The trigger is unlike any other gun I have. It's not a match target gun but I get fair combat groups. I'm not sure I like that trigger. Do the others with this gun like the trigger?

ScaryWoody

I've heard a lot of good things and for the price it's hard to beat. I haven't heard much about the customer service if they need fixing.

guncheese

Do the others with this gun like the trigger?

yes its a fine trigger
granted its a bit long in DA and a bit squishy in DA
but in SA its a dream the reset is short and sharp
shoot it to the reset dont slap the trigger every shot
then youll see what im on about
and the more i shoot the darn thing the better it gets

WildBill45

Do the others with this gun like the trigger?

I got to shoot it today ... Friday ... the trigger is heavy, but once set to single action it is accurate to shoot if you are a good trigger shooter. I think newbies may learn bad habits with it though, and may discharge a good trigger such as a Wilson 1911 before they wish, so care should be taken training such a shooter. I shot my friends Custom Sig right after and that Sig has a worked trigger, a sweet trigger, and shot one hole groups off hand with it to ensure my friend his sights were not off. I am deep into triggers for more years than I will admit to so I adjust quickly. That said, the Canik is a surprise buy, and a good gun for someone who may not have such cash to throw at a gun for defense of the home and person. You can't ask it to be a Ferrari when it is a chevy without compromise, but a good Chevy that will take you where you want to go...

wild cat mccane

It is a copy of the Walther P99.

I've owned a PPQ and multiple P99's. Tossed the PPQ and have a P99 now.The TP9 mimics the DA/SA of the P99 very well. It is in no way new, the P99 has been out for 15 years. However, no gun really has the trigger system of the P99 AS. It rocks. However, the TP-9 trigger is much heavier than the Walthers' in single action. The travel is the same though. You hit the weight on the TP9 right at the break. On the walther you pull all the way through and it is surprising on it fires without resistance. If you can get over that, I think these are the deal of handguns right now.