Best grips for Mod 29 round butt mountain gun?

Nevada Fitch

I have been trying to find the best grip for my Smith and Wesson Mountain gun.I have owned several mod 29s over the years but and tried several different grips. IT seams there are always trade offs. I want a small grip for concealment but most don't have much to hang on to and I have small hands. So far the best I have found is the Spegel Boot Grip from Dillon. It is wood which I like and handles recoil well I had to remove some wood from behind the trigger guard to get a better grip.I did not remove all of it by any means but I still wish I could get a slightly better grip on the gun.What is everyone else using? I don't want to go to a full size Houge or Uncle Mikes type grip that hangs below the frame.

WIL TERRY

S&W STOCKS...

The RB Skeeter Skelton style stocks from BLUMAGNUM in Colo Spgs, Colo, are unexcelled. Have 'em made as thin as possible; if you can see through them they're just about perfect. TM

SmithNut

Spegels are the best.....

Having tried just about every combination out there, I have settled in on the Spegel Boot grips for my short barreled .44's. The Eagle Secret Service boot grips look and feel good, but they don't handle the recoil like the Spegels. Spegel is checkering his grips now, which gives them a little more secure feel over the plain smooth ones. He also will make a "Boot Grip Plus", extending the grip below the gripframe between 1/8 and 1/4". They are still very compact, look good, and give a little more for the pinky to ride on. You might want to check them out.
Here is a picture of some Boot Grip Plus versions for N frames.
View

All the square butt revo's here are "Plus", the one at 6:00 is an N frame.
You mentioned a Model 29 Mountain, did you mean M629???
......SmithNut

Nevada Fitch

Smith Nut, yes I did mean a model 629. The checkering and extra 1/8 inch might help.The Spegal does seam to handle the recoil better than anything else I have tried confort wise. Thanks Nevada

SmithNut

Craig Spegel can be reached at.....

Craig's contact info:
P.O. Box 387
Nehalem, OR 97131
503/368-5653

.........SmithNut

Alaska Roy

They're in the Dillon Catalog!!?

Dillon carrys the Spiegals but if yourinterested in recoil control (I shoot 330s) in the RB 629 I suggest the Pachs gripper in the new decellerator rubber! Roy

donw

Roscoe's right about the Ahrends grips. The main difference in the Spegels and the Ahrends is the length. The Boot Grips extend down to the bottom of the frame, but do not cover it. The Ahrends grips however, extend about 1/4" below the bottom of the frame, giving you a bit more to put your pinky on. The Ahrends grips can also be had with or without finger grooves.