Best Grain for 223 Carbine

Darren Roberts

Have a Bushmaster AR carbine in 223. I am looking for max effect and accuracy at 300 yds. What is the best grain for this with the 24" barrel?
Thanks in advance.

Darren Roberts

1:9 is the twist. And its a 20" not 24".
I guess what I'm wondering is at 300yds or shorter, can I achieve more damage by going with a heavier grain say one suited for a 1:8 or even 1:7, and still keep maximum accuracy? Looking for that fine balance of both.

10-96

A 24" bbl is a full growed rifle- not a carbine in my book.

Are you, or will you be set up to reload? If so, find out your twist rate and search around in the Hand Loading section a few departments down and see what's already been discussed for match reloads.

If you don't reload or don't plan to start- you'll still be ahead to find your twist rate. However, you'll likely be trying several store bought brands to find what works best through your rifle.

EDIT- jsut saw your post. I suspect the general consensus will be 62, 64, and maybe 68/69gr bullets.

Bamashooter

My vote would be either 69gr or 75gr. My mini-14 is a 1/9 twist and it shoots both pretty well. My handloads loaded with 60gr sierra varmiter bullets are very accurate out of my mini as well.

Nathan

+1 to Utopia. . .

I would look for a medium ~50 - 60gr flat base bullet. In general, best accuracy out to 300 yards seems to come from flat base light for twist bullets.

zxcvbob

I just bought a .223 carbine with a 1:9 twist. All I've been shooting is 55 and 62 grain bullets (and Varget powder, mostly.) I need to try some SP or HP match bullets and see if that makes any difference over FMJ's (or if my shooting sucks enough that it doesn't matter)

Darren Roberts

I am going to be hunting feral pigs in some moderate dense under growth and hills. My objective was to increase target damage with the higher grain, and I don't figure to be getting over 200 yd shots so I'm not concerned with distance advantages of a faster twist with a heavier round.
I have never fired larger than a 72 with this carbine. I was just wondering if I could get to 85+ and still have accuracy to hit about a 4" target, at most fom 300yds.
Or, will the difference even matter in this case?

wingman

I've owned 5 or 6 223's with 1/9 twist all were most accurate with the Sierra
52gr match, that is the first bullet I always try.

20thru45

72 and up unlikely

My 1 in 9 doesn't like anything over 62 grn. My best weight for my carbine (it really is a carbine) is 55. Perhaps the extra barrel length can produce enough extra velocity to properly stabilize a heavier bullet but as velocity dissipates at range the same issue would crop up.

Rampant_Colt

I am going to be hunting feral pigs in some moderate dense under growth and hills.
Now that we know what you are going to be shooting at, I would recommend the following:
  • W-W 64gr PowerPoint SP
  • Federal 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
  • Federal 60gr Nosler Partition
  • Federal 64gr Tru
  • Federal 62gr Fusion bonded
  • Federal 64gr SP
  • Barnes Vor-Tx 55gr Triple-Shock
  • Hornady 60gr JSP
  • Speer 55gr Gold Dot JSP

Mike38

I have never fired larger than a 72 with this carbine. I was just wondering if I could get to 85+ and still have accuracy to hit about a 4" target, at most fom 300yds.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but once you get to the 80+ grain bullet weights in a .223, you need a throated barrel. I would check on that if I was you.