Best Glock for CCW

cen

I'm going to be purchasing a new pistol for ccw and want a weapon as small and light as my current ccw, a Taurus Millenium pro .40. I still need to go handle them, but from most of the posts and what I read, Glock is the way to go. I could be wrong and please let me know of personal preferences in the same size as the taurus. A Kahr is a little too small, but a Ruger P series is way too big. I would really consider any caliber over a 9mm except a .357 sig,(too expensive to shoot). I just love the size of the taurus, but it shoots horrifically, it's fantastically reliable, but I'd like to try to hit what I shoot at. How about a Sig or HK? Any feedback, good, bad, condensending, is welcome.
Scott

the best glock for concealed carry is anything but. i hate glocks. they are excellent weapons but i dont like them. id go with a car. the have 40 and 45 calibers in a small pistol. im a big guy so i can hide anything depending on dress. i carry my storm every day. its light and shoots soft and accurate.

seriously i would go car over glock if i were going small. or a 1911 in a combat commander. smith makes a light small auto. i carried only smith for 15 years. they are excellent weapons.

denfoote

Any caliber over 9mm, eh??
The answer to your prayer is the Glock 36!! :cool: :cool:

G36andknife.jpg

ddskehan

I have a glock 27. If you go this route you'll have to try many different types of cartridges. The recoil is severe with many high power loads. I installed a recoil reducer from firedragon to help tame it. other than that its great. you may want to find someone with one and shoot theirs first, just to make sure it will work for you.

BLKLABMAN

Your going to get a million answers, so here mine.
CCW?
I prefer the G23.
It is accurate enough to win a few IDPA matches for me, and above all....reliable. I am slight of build at 5'9" 165lbs. I can easily carry, the G23 year round in a Sparks Versa Max 2
Your mileage may vary.

spddogman

Another vote for the G27. I carry mine 24/7, concealing it easily in a Milt Sparks Watch Six holster @ 4:30. I've heard alot of people complain about the recoil but I can't understand why. My wife has shot mine dozens of times with no complaints. I let my 16 year old neice shoot it a couple of times and she almost out shot me. Rent one and see for yourself.

stephen426

I carry a "baby" Glock as well but I have the 26 in 9mm. It is very easy to conceal and it shoots incredibly well. The tenifer finish and polymer frame are practically impervious to the elements. I would switch out the Glock sights and get a nice set of Trijicon night sights. Your accuracy will improve drastically since Glock's stock sight is a chunky compared to Trijicon's.

I shot the 27 and decided to go with the 26 because of the recoil. The 27 is managable but I feel comfortable with 9mm as a defense round.

Para Bellum

IWB: Glock 26/27 with Glock19 Mag (15rds) and Mag/Grip-Adapter (pic below). Due to its short slide you won't feel the 26 IWB.

OWB: Glock 19/23. Perfect gun.

Do research before you decide over caliber. IMHO and experience the 9x19mm beats the .40 in every way. A .45 has its advantages and a 9Luger has.
Google and read all you can find. Make your own tests. Look at stuff like that: http://www.raoulwagner.com/tests2005.htm
and then make a caliber-decision.

ag1923.JPG

Baba Louie

I started my CCW with the 19. Accurate, easy shooting, reliable. When the 26 came out I bought one of those and carried it for a while. It was as accurate, if not more so, than the 19... which I still find hard to believe, but it is in my hands anyway.

Since I prefer the .45 to a 9, I bought a 21 when they came out and liked the way it felt... it's accuracy too, but it's obviously not something for IWB.

Then came to 30. About the same size (a little thicker) as the 19. 10 rds of .45. That was the one.

My son has since appropriated it for his use. I went back to the 1911 format.

I've known people to CCW a 17 with the right dress... if you can CCW a full size 1911, and I have, I think you could do the same with the 17.

The 23 might just be the perfect balance of size and power. I've never carried one, but have shot a couple. Since I don't own a .40 (I feel no need to add another caliber to the mix) I can't say anything about the 27, but I've met a couple of LEO's who swear by theirs.

azredhawk44

G26 is a great choice if you can accept 9mm as an acceptable standard for a self defense weapon (which hundreds of PD's do to this day). If you want a .45acp, the G36 is pretty darn nice.

I don't care for the G30... it's almost as big in the wrong dimensions as the G21. And I don't favor the .40S&W cartridge at all, so the 22/23/whatever glocks in .40 I have never even looked twice at.

G36 all the way. Single stack .45acp of some sort, though.

What do I carry? Ruger sp101 most of the time, G21 if I have a backpack or laptop bag handy, and I would like to obtain a G26 sometime soon here.

Last edited:

gordo b.

I carried my 26 until I wore to bare metal the front slide:) , THEN I bought a 27,I decided I didn't like the 27 and gave it to my CHP son for a back up.;) My 26 is NOT on my CCW, as is the way for Ca.:mad: , so I don't 'officially' carry it (and better not shoot somebody with it!) being changed out for a .45acp Colt LT. WT. Officers model(which IS on my CCW), which I feel better with as it has those 2 safeties! I like Glock 17s and 26s best of the Glocks but they have become non carried items!:)

kymasabe

If it had to be a Glock, I'd say the 26 would be best bet.

There are alternatives though. Someone has already mentioned Kahr...but what about Kel-Tec? P11 is decent and smaller than the Glock and the PF-9 single stack 9mm should be out in the next month or two.