Best G3 clone available right now?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I can't search for words under three letters, hence no "G3" searches...

I am looking for a rifle with the traditional G3 sights (not SETME) which would fit my budget (i.e. HK91 is out). I would prefer one without a muzzle brake but will settle for one with if I can get it removed later.

Important features
1. Reliable
2. Good trigger/sights on stright

Not sure if all HM clones have so many sharp edges, esp. the cocking handle...

Q: Do all clones come in 308? I'd like a 223 versionbut not sure if anyone makes them or if magazines are available as cheaply.

PS: Based on a PM
Why not a CETME for your G3 clone?

I have a slight preference for plastic furniture and G3 sights but would get a CETME if that turns out to be a better choice in other respects.

Last edited:

Destructo6

There are supposed to be HK-93 (.223) clones coming out in the next year. Rumor has it that the receivers will be made by Special Weapons and the rifles will be assembled by Vector Arms. Vector has gained a good reputation through their completion of Group Industries' Uzi receivers.

Problem with the HK-93 is that magazines are still going to cost you $40+. Unlike the HK-91/G3, there's no mass quantities of surplus mags in the world.

The best new clones may very well be the Century G3 that's built on a Portuguese FMP receiver and sold through Federal Arms (FAC). People have been pleased with them and the receiver doesn't get much better, save for Oberndorf Hk itself.

Schuey2002

Preban Springfield Armory SAR-3 or
Postban SAR-8......

The one that are made in Greece seem to be the best quality..

GunsAmerica.com --- $1000.00-1200.00 price range for a SAR-8 ..
Preban SAR-3's generally command a higher price...:)

Handy

Make sure the SAR-8 is Greek made. The later ones were crummy parts guns.

I've seen plenty of SAR-8's with thumbhole stocks right at $1000. An incredible rifle for the cash.

Glockenstien

Just got a new G3 clone from CAI.

The rifle is perfect except for the canted front sight. I paid $450 for it and can have the sight repaired for $60, so overall not too bad. I have a Century stamped reciever CETME as well, with the same sight problem. It has OD Green FMP plastic furniture from nouglyguns.com and a superb barrel. I will sell you the CETME if you want it. My CETME looks EXACTLY like the one pictured here: http://www.nouglyguns.com/06.htm

kobun

Was offered a HK G3 today for $1350
:( Don't think I have the money for it right now if I'm not going to take funds from my other gun projects. :(
Haven't seen the gun, and don't know when its made.
I would have to guess some times in the '80's.
5 20rnd mags, both slim and wide front grip w/bipod, JP compensator, PSG1 (not original) trigger, Weaver scope mount...
Hope I find a way to make some serious gun-money soon...
:(

K.

Sorry to you out there, this gun is NOT in the US.

Schuey2002

Kobun,

Your talking about a real HK G3,not the knockoff clones available
over here(across the Pond) in the $1000+ price range.....

You Norwegians can buy the REAL DEAL for that $1300 price....!

It's just not fair...;) :p ;)

Last edited:
Glockstein, send the CAI G3 back to them for repair. They will pay shipping both ways and have it back to you in better shape than you sent it in. Fixed my AK that way.

kobun

Yup Schuey. The gun is the real deal.
Its a G3 and not a HK91. It has the front pushpin, full auto bolt, but does not come with the selective fire trigger groups.

You can't realy get a G3 that easy. Its like in the US. No more imports of certain guns, :rolleyes: so some guns you can only find used.
And to buy a semi auto ("military" looking), you eighter have to be an officer in the military or a IPSC shooter. So, there are about 1400 sivilians that are qualified to have such guns here.
Of course, the easiest way (and free) to get a G3 is to join the Home Guard. Then you get issued one. :D
I'd like to have one that was mine though. ;)

K.:)

kobun

Schuey, I have been shooting IPSC for several years.
Have been to six level III matches and one level V this year, working 4 of them as an RO. :p
Was at the Worldshoot in South Afrika in September too. :cool:
So, I would say that I'm fairly active...
I shoot both pistol and rifle matches, but I would say I enjoy rifle the most. Something about shooting at 1-300 meters that is just plain fun. :D
But... I'm always looking to expand my collection.

Will Fennell

Jumbo-Shrimp?

Oleg,
Its been my[limited] experience that "good trigger" and "G3" don't usually go together. Its a shame, the G3/HK91 is otherwise and a great MBR........

Schuey2002

Kobun,
You Norwegians are spoiled rotten.........:p :p
Also,what kind of gun is the one on the bottom of your pic.The
one that looks like a shotgun/grenade launcher....;)

P.S. You need to hook up with a guy named Gunnerside on Hkpro.com

kobun

Its a Neostead shotgun
Remember, we can't just go buy a gun... We have to apply for a permit, for each gun, and then we also have to have a wery good reason to buy it.
Its difficult to have several guns in the same caliber among other things. :(