Best Full-Size 9mm

Larry C.

Howdy,

Given the low,low price of 9mm ammo, I'm going to be acquiring a 9mm Semi-Auto this Spring. I'm excited about such an affordable self-defense/plinking round. It's unlikely I'd use this for CCW at this time. This weapon is more for fun and outdoor range practice; sort of what I used my Pythons for in the past.
I'm not going to start a fight and ask for "The BEST 9mm" despite my thread title. I am asking for your input as to the best 9mm (Full-Size) Semi-Autos out there. I mean plural, I won't try to put you on the spot and say "single best". Personally, I don't care for Glock triggers, but that's MY problem; I respect the fact that they are good and reliable. So Glocks are out.
Money is no object here! I'll pay upwards of $1,000 for an accurate, reliable and rugged Semi-Auto.
I'm interested to hear about your experiences with the various pistols out there. I have little experience with Semi-Autos, mostly revolvers. My SA 1911 is great so far, but fires the costly .45 ACP (yes, I know it's a proven manstopper, no argument). Thanks in advance, and please I'm looking for a informed opinions and observations, not trying to start a fight.

Respectfully,
Larry C. :)

chris in va

If you like the 1911, why not get a 9mm version?

Otherwise I've had a lot of good times with my CZ 75. Trigger takes some breaking in and a lighter hammer spring is nice but I think you'd like them.

Gonzo_308

If you like your 45 and are comfortable with the Single Action I'd recommend the Hi Power. They're very nice in the hand.

others that will meet your expectations are too numerous to name.

You need to narrow down what your likes and dislikes are.

frame mounted or slide mounted safety? decocker? on and on and on.

Some of my favorites in addition to the BHP are the SIG 226, HK USP, Beretta 92Fs, CZ's, Baby Eagle, there're more that I'd trust but this is a decent start.

DoItRight

If you like the 1911, why not get a 9mm version?

I second that suggestion. You mention liking the SA 1911 -- well, they make a 9MM version of their "loaded" 1911.

Kimber also makes one, as does Dan Wesson --which is the one I own.

S.E.R.T.SGT

The Sig 226 has always been a favorite of mine, and I feel, is an excellent choice in 9mm. I also like the CZ-75, and was extrememly surprised at the accuracy as well as the ergonomics right out of the box. Just a few more suggestions... :D

Alaskanmonte

Browning Hi-power (single-action and all-steel just like your 1911).
Get a Beretta if you have too (its a far second to the BHP)

Old Shooter

I vote for the CZ 75B also but it WILL be heavier then a polymer gun. I have 2 (one in sa/da and one in sa only) - very accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Bullshooter

This pistol has been a favorite. Little recoil, accurate, fun!

springfield19119mm.jpg

Christian 812

Larry,

Using 9mm can indeed lower your ammo cost. I totally agree with you, specially if you shoot for fun and dont need to stop a raging bull. My best advice would be to test a few full size 9 mm and then choose the one you like.
This is what I did and finally choose a Sig Sauer P 226 (a bit expensive but you can feel and see the quality). Accurate just right out off the box, very smooth to use and so reliable (not a single stopage after firing 5,000 rounds). The only change I made is changing the butt plate by the rubber one (made by Hogue) of the 226 Sport > more comfortable for my big hands

Here's a link (I found it after buying my P 226 !) and I can attest it is totally true. While on Remtek site, you can navigate and check comments on other products.

http://remtek.com/arms/sig/model/226/226.htm

Shoot safe !

Pilot

If you like the 1911, you have to get a Browning Hi Power. Others to look at would be a Spingfield 1911 in 9MM, CZ-75B and Sig P228 or P226. (I feel the P228 is just the right size and still consider it "full size")

Robert Allison

Check out the new Performance Center S&W 9mm, target grade.....I am not sure of the model designation, but it's in the most recent S&W brochure. Costs big bucks, though, MSRP around $2000. You asked for the "best"!

I really like my Beretta 92FS. But I confess that I'd love to have a truly target-grade, accurate, 9mm, not that the Beretta is inaccurate.....

larvatus

Sig P210

It is possible to get a SIG P210 in excellent condition for $1,400. You would be much better off spending a little more to gain a great deal in accuracy, reliability, and ruggedness. Nothing else will perform more than half as well half as long.

VaughnT

I have a Colt 1991 in .45acp. I have another on the way.

I also have a Hi Power in 9mm and consider it the prettiest pistol out there, an totally worthy of the Alessi shoulder rig that it rides in.

But.......If I were to buy a 9mm again, which I did, I would recommend the CZ 75B. This thing is just incredible in all respects, and it's half the cost of the BHP! Ergonomics are nice and the standard mags hold 16 rounds. The trigger is a bit long for a single-action, but it's reliable and consistent.

Overall, I can now understand why this is the chosen pistol of so many nations.

Get a CZ and don't look back.

Lt102

I'll second the USP 9. I just got mine Thursday and I love it. It just feels good points well and has digested its first 500 rounds without a hiccup. I too wanted a 9mm for the cheap cost of ammo, but I think I will be shooting so much more with my USP that it will negate any savings from shooting surplus 9mm. Looked at a bunch of 9mm... XD, Sig, Walther p99, hi-powers but the HK felt better and couldn't beat the price I got

abelew

A question. How much ammo do you shoot per year? 9mm may be cheaper than .45, but if you don't shoot a whole lot, you'd actually come out on top, (since you stated that you wouldn't mind spending upwards of 1,000 for a new 9mm) if you just kept shooting .45? You can get 100 rds for 20 bux at wally world. To break even on the cost of the gun, with 100 rds of 9mm being maybe 10 bux, you would have to shoot 10,000 rounds. Now, you may shoot that many rounds quite quickly, I have no idea. Just a thought.