Best Firearms Collection

zippy13

butta9999 just introduced us a to a fabulous private collection in Victoria, Australia. It got me to thinking, what's the most impressive collection I've even seen?

The SHOT Show was at the top of my wow list for a collection of firearms under one roof. That was until I visited the new Cody Firearms Museum at the Buffalo Bill Historic Center, Cody WY. It's beyond description. I was fortunate to return to Cody in 1997 for a special exhibit by the Remington Society of America. The combined presentation, under one roof, is probably the finest firearms collection I'll see in my lifetime; but, I've not yet been to the NRA's National Firearms Museum in VA.

What's the best firearms collection you've seen?

butta9999

Its great to have so much of a positive response to my mates collection. I wish i had taken more photos of the entire room, it would have been real impressive.

Here is a couple more to finish off. He is a member of the Cannon club which do monthly range firing. He moulds plaster bullets for the firings which go through a 44 gallon drum at 200 yds. What a sight:eek:

The last photo is of an original tank which he has restored, it is not operational. Its one of many in his front yard.

So this is the most impressive PRIVATE collection i have ever seen.

For public collections there are many ARMS and COLLECTORS shows every year which are quite good.

Attachments

• 100_1089.jpg
    100_1089.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_1090.jpg
    100_1090.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_1095.jpg
    100_1095.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 54

ndking1126

private only?

Are we including all gun collections or just private? I think the most impressive part of the previously mentioned collection was that it was private.

zippy13

"Are we including all gun collections or just private?"​
All collections.

Rome's Castel Sant' Angello has vast quantities of old arms on display. The place is an ancient fortress and the arms have been there since they were new front-line gear. It's the quantity of the items displayed that catches your eye, not the diversity. They didn't have to do any collecting, since the contents seem to have been there since day one, should it be considered a collection?

navajo

collection

I know a guy with at least one example of all WWII 1911 makers, some still preserved. He also has barrels, the wooden kind, full of Mausers. Not to mention several hundred other guns. One that sticks out is a SAA made in 1902 that has never been fired.
One interesting gun is a cap and ball he found around Eagle Pass, Texas. Its covered in rust and its cocked. Wonder what the story is on that one.
There is a private collection of original AR10s, pics on the net. Must be 75 or 80 of them, all variations. Includes a few original Armalite AR 15s.

Not bad.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The Claud E. Fuller Collection at the visitor's center and museum of Chickamauga Battlefield Park in northern Georgia is stunning. I mean I literally had to catch my breath when I walked in the room.

It was a private collection donated to the National Park Service with the stipulation that it be viewable by the public. Roughly 400 American martial longarms, from colonial matchlocks through the M1 Garand, all in one room. Even a "coffee-grinder" Sharps. It's like the anteroom to Valhalla.

pesta2

In Uniontown PA, Woodland World had a building by their old one (They moved and are much smaller now) that had a guys private collection that was on display, do not remember if he donated or not. Incredible, he had one of every type of Savage 99 ever made.

I am not sure if it is still there since Woodland moved into town.

Located adjacent to Woodlands World, the Peter J. Magerko Gun Museum showcases an amazing collection of over 460 early American firearms that helped tame the Wild West. The collection consists primarily of Winchester and Parker firearms, along with Savage, Stevens, Fox, and L. C. Smith.

The Winchester collection includes a Model 1866, manufactured in 1871 and nicknamed "Yellow Boy" by the American Indians. All five generations of Model 70 and over 100 of the Model 88s in nearly every caliber are represented.

http://www.uniontownonline.com/PeterMagerkoGunMuseum.html

Huntington Museum of Art has a private collection. It is not the amount in the collection but the rarities.

http://www.hmoa.org/pages/aa-herman.html