Best/Favorite Obsolete Hunting Cartridge

Abel

What is the most useful obsolete cartridge out there? By obsolete, I mean a cartridge that is no longer being chambered in most new rifles. And by useful, I mean it could and should be around today based on its performance against a similar cartridge that may have run it out of town. The 30-40 Krag immediately comes to mind. 300 Savage? Maybe the 32 Special. I feel like I'm just scratching the surface here. 6mm Remington is another. You tell me.

Jimro

Wow, off the top of my head...

222 Rem, 280 Ross, 270 Newton, 8x63 Swedish, 9x57, 9.3x57, 250-3000, 318 Westley Richards, 25-35, and 7mm Waters.

Those would be in place of 22 Hornet, 280 Rem, 270 Win, 325 WSM, 358 Win, 257 Robers, 338-06, and the 30-30.

Jimro

bigwrench

25-35. 7-30 waters, 375. winchester, and I have been hoping that the 5mm remington rimfire magnum would make a comeback.;) Oh and don't forget the 307. winchester even if it has been duplicated in the .308 marlin,

bamaranger

it is back

The 5mm mag is back! Aquilla/Centurion is loading ammo.

I'm not sure how "useful", but the .348 Win, in the M71 has got to be on the list.

bigwrench

Hey that 5mm ammo is a little hotter than the origanal stuff to, Now if Marlin or savage would just build me a new rifle chambered in 5mm!

telemark

I am a big fan of the .307 Winchester, and really fell in love with it once I got my hands on the Hornady FTX bullets.

darkgael

Savage

+1 for the 250-3000 Savage. I'm always on the lookout for a Model 99 in chambered for the 250. Last one that I saw, I could not afford. Alas.
Another nice old cartridge is the 32 Winchester. And how about the .348 Win., any new guns being made for that great old round?
Pete

geetarman

The day I got out of the Navy in 1965, I went to a photo shop in Charleston to buy a Remington 700 in 22-250. The owner told me he had sold the rifle the week before but that he had just gotten in a .225 Winchester Model 70.

The rifle had a nice bull barrel and I bought it and had a Lyman 8X scope mounted on it.

The rifle shot good and I had no problem with it at all. Killed my first ground hog with it. That cartridge just never caught on due to Remington taking the plunge and making the 22-250 available as a factory round.

I kept the rifle until the middle '70s and traded it for a Ruger Super Blackhawk.

It was a great round and just suffered from the overwhelming popularity of the 22-250.:D

First, define obsolete.

My take on it is that it's obsolete if ammo is no longer made by one of the big manufacturers. If that's the case, .300 Savage doesn't qualify, but .303 Savage does.

Others would say it means that rifles chambered in that cartridge are no longer commonly available; .300 Savage would qualify in this case.

Personally, I go with the first one. And I love my .300 Savages, all four of them. :)

davecharles

Obsolite is an interesting concept in firearms. 25 years ago I wanted a centerfire rifle and didnt have a lot of money so I bought a 96 mauser for $39 from Century Arms. I had to look long and hard for ammo for the obsolite caliber. (6.5 X55). I loved the gun and bought and sporterized several more. ( I wish I had bought 100 at that price) Now with the renewed interest in the 6.5 mm bullet (realizing what the Swedes knew 100 years ago) The 6.5X 55 is no longer considered an obsolite caliber. I guess a caliber is obsolite when no one wants to use it.
Dave

smith357

I have always liked the .38-55, I'm not sure its obsolete, but it's not that common and very few, if any new rifles are chambered for it.

Malamute

Good choice Kraig.

I'm liking the 348. Also looking forward to doing some hunting with the 38-55 with modern loads.

Chaz88

.257 Weatherby. It is not quite obsolete yet but I can never find brass at gun shops or shows and the only factory amo I can find comes from Weatherby at $53 a box.

Pathfinder45

.33 WCF

How is it that the .35 Remington is still here while the .33 WCF has disappeared? Some of those 1886 Winchester Extra-Lights in .33 WCF are the nicest looking lever-guns I've ever seen.

WIN71

Still in use with enough reloading components to last my grandson's life........

I'm liking the 348. Also

71-348.jpg