Best FACTORY .41 Mag Defense Load?

Chindo18Z

I'm inclined to think Winchester Silvertip (175 gr / 1250 fps)? I'm thinking that this is about the mildest factory load with a reliable expanding bullet. Its pretty controllable out of a 4" Model 57, but I don't know how the bullet actually performs.

Am I missing any others?

Anybody have any antecdotal performance info (including hunting experience). I've received some 210 Speer GoldDot but have not yet fired it.

Damn, I wish someone would come out with a ".41 Special" (195 gr, 1000-1050 fps, w/ good modern expanding bullet).

Damn, I wish someone else would come out with a Model 658 or a 4", six-shot, stainless L-Frame .41 Special/.41 Mag... :D

caz223

Love .41 specials, shoot 'em in my taurus tracker.
Also, what you're describing is actually almost available.
A smith 610 shooting .40 s&w with moonclips.
More research has gone into .40, and it's more popular, making reloading components and good ammo widely available.

Erich

Sounds to me like you're on the right track. The STHP is good enough for people, no question, and it's very controllable in the N-frame. :)

Chindo18Z

caz223: I've thought about the 10mm (but never owned one). I like the idea of .40/10mm from the same gun w/ moon-clips. Since I don't reload, does the performance of .40 & 10mm (out of the 610) equate to what I'm talking about w/ ".41 Special" & .41 Mag? When I look at some of the claimed ballistics on Federal, Remington, Speer, & Winchester websites, I'm seeing (I think) really mild 10mm and some really fast .40. Seems like they overlap...

Aside from the fact that I just like .41, would the .40/10mm combo work as well or better? How is the accuracy for .40 out of a 10mm revolver?

Erich: I seem to recall that 10mm SilverTip is just about the same as .41 ST. Would this being any better/worse than the better .40 loads? Would it just be better to go with the best .40 load out of a 10mm 610?

Thanks for the responses...

caz223

My 610 seems to like 10mm better, but I haven't mastered loading for the fourty.
I have seen very good accuracy in other people's 610s when they load lead for their bowling pin shoots.
It's certainly as good/better than the average bottom feeder.
I have a very good example of a sigpro 357SIG with a .40 barrel that does alright, but for some reason the mighty ten is easier to load for.
I'm sure that many people have better luck with it.
As for power levels, I load 10mm to 200 grains/ 1200 FPS.
That's prolly a tiny bit hotter than the average 10mm load off the shelf, I load .41 to 210 grains/ 1300 FPS which is prolly a touch lighter than factory fodder.
Factory .40 runs about 180 grains at about 1000 fps. (OK, maybe 950.)
That's where I load it, it seems to do it's best work at high pressures.
Since .41 special is a wildcat, and isn't available from the big guys, it's pretty much just what you can get away with.
I like to shoot lead in .41 specials (Lead bullets have the same FPS with less pressure.), I got a large lot of some .41 bullets (I believe they're oregon trail.) at 215 grains, and load them at 950-1000 FPS, I could go hotter in my bigger guns like blackhawks/N-frames, but I shoot them in my taurus tracker, and don't want to blow it to kingdom come. (Or shoot it loose.)
Besides, if I wanted to shoot hotter, I'd just load .41 mag in it.
Of all my guns, I seem to like .41 mag/10mm the best.
But .41 mag is just too much for my poor tracker, so I saved my old tired brass, shortened it, and load it light to save my wrists/hands.
It works out.
I highly recommend the 10mm/.40 combo, it's a lot easier to buy .40 ammo than trying to find .41 special, or opening the can 'o worms of reloading a wildcat without the right dies (You never seem to have enough adjustment!).
Sorry for the life's story, but it's a subject near and dear to my heart.
The 610 is a N-frame, but smith yoosta make a L-frame .40 wheelgun with a funky titanium* (I think.) cylinder.
I think it was the 646, and weighed in at less than 40 ounces, as opposed to the 610s 52 ounces. Moonclips.

BillCA

Chindo18Z,

The .41 Mag 175gr STHP -- 1250fps for 605 Ft-lbs.
The 10mm --175gr STHP -- 1290fps for 689 Ft-lbs.

These are essentially equivilant rounds since the 10mm barrel is 1.5" longer.

The 40S&W 180gr Supreme-T JHP -- 1010 fps for 408 Ft-lbs.
The 40S&W 155gr SHTP ------------ 1205 fps for 500 Ft-lbs.

Contrast:
.45 ACP - 230gr FMJ (Win-USA) ----- 835 fps for 356 Ft-Lbs
.45 ACP - 185gr STHP (Win Super-X) 1000 fps for 411 Ft-Lbs
.45 Colt - 255gr STHP (Win Super-X)- 920 fps for 423 Ft-Lbs

Having had & carried a .41 mag under various conditions I'd say that you should feel adequately protected with the 175gr STHPs. But only if you can rapidly and accurately fire off your 2nd shot.

Recoil with the STHP's isn't bad out of a S&W M57 4" and you should be able to handle it just fine.

I used to load hard cast 220gr LSWC to 980fps using Unique powder and it was a "cream puff" load to fire. :cool:

Chindo18Z

BillCA: Thanks for the data...good to know info.

In the absence of any other suggested factory loadings, does anyone have any data or hunting experience w/ either the .41 or 10mm 175 gr Winchester Silvertip? I'm looking for info on expansion/penetration (or lack thereof). I figure that results for one will be the same for the other.

I have used the old Remington 210 JSP on small whitetail...thru and thru broadside. Sharp recoil and flash (out of a 6" M57).

I'm looking for something that will go deep enough but stay in the target (self defense, not hunting). I've convinced myself that the 175 Silvertip's numbers SHOULD work...

I'm also wondering if component Speer Gold Dots would open up when loaded only to 1000-1100 fps range? The factory loads are a bit faster (around 1300 fps).

tulsamal

I favor the lighter hollowpoints if .41 or .44 Mag is going to be used for defense. In .41 Mag, that would be the 170 grain bullet. Corbon loads that bullet to 1275 fps. I've fooled around with that load but never killed anything like a deer with it.

Buffalo loads the 170 grain bullet to full magnum pressure. They get 1650 fps out of it. That's over 1000 foot pounds of energy!

It would be nice if someone would load a 170-180 grain Gold Dot bullet to around 1200-1350 fps. I looked but Pro-Load doesn't do it. I don't know if anybody does.

Gregg

tulsamal

My only "beef" with Silvertips (in general) is that they open fast and that means they _probably_ won't give me as much penetration as I prefer. Pushing it hard out of a .41 Magnum seems to make that even more likely. If I'm going to go to all the trouble of carrying a big magnum revolver, then I expect to get 14 inches of penetration! Anybody know of any test results using that specific load in .41? Controlled expansion with FBI standard levels of penetration is why Gold Dots are the standard in so many calibers.

Gregg