Best fabric for hunting clothes?

Erik

In looking around on the internet and in the Cabelas catalog I see a variety of fabrics which are used in hunting clothes. (Saddle-cloth, Shikari cloth, MT050, etc.) Which do you have, do they stand up to the hype, and which are said to be the best?

Thanks,
Erik

houndawg

I have some stuff made from heavy duty nylon that I bought from Wicks Outdoor Works in Montgomery City, Missouri. They specialize in gear for coonhunters. This nylon lets briars slide off without getting a scratch. It repels water pretty good too.

swampgator

How does nylon do in regards to noise? I used to go in my Gore-Tex, but it does cause a lot of excess noise in the woods.

Gator

fal308

Staff Alumnus
It really depends on a lot of factors. Are you stand-hunting, stalking etc, what season of the year, temperature range, weather conditions and many other factors. Also $ plays a role in that many of the wonder fabrics aren't inexpensive.

swampgator

Mainly stand hunting in Nov, Dec, Jan. Locale is N Florida, so temps aren't a real problem (teens at the lowest).

I really would like to have something that is wind/water proof (where Gore-Tex really does shine). I currently just use the Gore-Tex if needed ie rainy or wet conditions and go with layering to attempt to block wind.

My partner always jokes about my clothing choices (BDU's and Gore-Tex) versus what is new and available, but my reply is always the same. I have a closet full of Uncle Sam's best camo and it didn't cost me a dime. Except the Gore-Tex, $88 statement of charges.

Gator