Best "eye-relief" scope for Ruger no. 1

PTS1

Could you please recommend a scope or two that would give me the best overall eye-relief for a Ruger #1. By overall, I mean not only eye relief but legnth and mounting position. The No. 1 has the rings located furhter forward than on bolt action rifles and a shorter space between them. I do not want to use the off-set rings and do not want to use high rings. I have a Leupold 2.5-8X36 mounted on my other no. 1 as far back as I can and it works well at low power but i really have to stretch my neck at high power. I have thought of the Nikon Omega with it's 5 inches of eye-relief but due to it's short overall legnth, mounting space and 40mm objective, I am not sure it will be able to be mounted very far back. My price limit is $500. Thanks in advance for any help.

pilothunter

I have two #1s. One has an older Leupold M8 4X scope, that fits perfectly. The second #1 has a VXII 2-7x33. I believe it has a good bit more eye relief room than the fine VXIII 2.5-8, at 3.8-4.9". The VXIII 1.75-6, pretty much a twin to the VXII, also has a similar, longer eye relief. I've not owned one of those, however.

uncyboo

A budget method would be to fing a used Simmons Aetec. Pawn shops will get around $100 - $125 for them. eBay too. I've used them on my #1s for about 12 years now and they seem to be a good fit for me. I like the 5" eye relief. No problems with the scopes. Of course, as Pilot suggested, it's hard to go wrong with Lupys....

V.Hunter

What power range are you looking for, what configuration of No.1 is it, and what cartridge is your rifle chambered for?

A budget method would be to fing a used Simmons Aetec.

This is something that I would not suggest. I gave three Simmons a go years ago and would never trust one on even a 22lr. I'm glad that uncyboo has had good luck with them but all three I owned had wondering zeros, poor tracking, and terrible clarity and light transmission.

GONIF

A Ziess Conquest 3-9x40 will do the job and give you 4 inchs of eye releif .you can get them NIB with the liftime warentee for under $400.00.
bright,clear and ruged :D simmons claims of 5 inch eye releif are BS .

jmr40

Where can I get a Zeiss Conquest for under $400. The going rate that I see is around $550? Zeiss makes a great scope and I would, and do use them. Leupolds have the best eye relief as a rule and make a great scope as well.

PTS1

Sorry, it is a #1-a in 243. I was looking for a 3-9 or 2-7 power range. Nothing larger than a 40mm objective. I would also like to know where you can find a conquest for $400!

Kreyzhorse

I've got a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 gov't that I had to scope. Since the gun has a fair bit of recoil, eye relief was a must. I went with a Nikon Monarch. Seems like it has 3.5" or so of relief and it's a Nikon so you really can't go wrong with it. It will fit in under your budget as well.

fisherman66

The VX-II 2-7x33 seem like the best best to me. I have a Bushnell 1-4x32 Muzzleloader/Shotgun scope (4.3" ER) on my RSI and even it gets the doughnut hole effect at 4 power. Bushnell makes another ML/SG scope with 6" ER in the same measurements, but the FOV was too narrow for my preferences. I'm seriously considering putting the FX-II 2.5x20 Ultralight on mine. I sure wish Ruger made light weight rings.

Look at the Burris Signature Select line. Made in the USA. It has a superior seal system, great glass, lifetime warranty, and a great price compare to Leupold or Nikon in comparable quality. Go to opticsbestbuy.com or opticsplanet.com to get info and prices. Optics planet should list the eye relief in the technical data for the scope. Sorry I don't know it off the top of my head. Great scope though.

V.Hunter

Is the length of pull correct for you, mine were always too long, that goes a long way in a proper fitting rifle/scope combination. I have the LOP changed on all of my rifles. This along with the best scope for the application allows for the best outfit.

I have used mostly fixed Leupolds on my No.1's with great success. If I were to outfit them again I may opt for Nikon or Zeiss.

steveno

I had a Leupold 2.5 - 8 on a Ruger #1A in 270 winchester. the scope worked fine but I had to use the extension rings to be comfortable with it. it is a good scope for a Ruger #1A regardless of caliber rifle combination. I had originally bought a Burris 6X for the rifle but that scope didn't have enough eye relief for me.

pilothunter

I've purchased two NIB Zeiss Conquests in the last month; a 1.8-5.5x38 for $299, and a 2.5-8x32 for $355/free delivery. It can be done. Actually the
1.8-5.5x38 (now on a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62) was found at Cabelas. The other was found here:

http://www.sportoptics.com/zeiss-conquest-rifle-scopes.aspx

I see the price has risen a bit. BUT, if you call and request their bottom line price, you may do better. Zeiss penalizes companies that advertise under their "target" prices. Simply ask for their best price.