Best ear PLUGS for use WITH muffs?

g.willikers

Me, too.
I use the feathered kind, but without the extra paraphernalia.
If you go with the foam style, don't just stuff them in your ears.
Roll them very thin and then stick them in.
They will then expand and work much better.

Last edited:

Stugotz

Coincidentally 'All Outdoors' just emailed me (I get them daily) a list of articles they do on various subjects and this one was in my feed:

"Use Quality Ear Protection"

(Nothing earthshaking, but if it gets people thinking about the subject).

Yesterday while out shooting at the range, I saw one group after another filing through and sighting in their deer hunting rifles most of which had no hearing protection at all. The kids had enough sense to at least stick their fingers in their ears. Some parents now-a-days... :rolleyes:

TheGunGeek

The best with or without muffs would be those that have the highest NRR (noise reduction rating). I use Howard Leight Super Leight shooters earplugs which have a 33 NRR. This is the red, white, & blue version.

Lavan

I ...will.... be using them WITH muffs.

This is a critical application as so far I am into about $4000 in hearing aids and doctor visits for hearing damage suffered WHILE using muffs.

However, the muffs were NRR22 and had worked fine for a year or so of shooting at the OUTDOOR range. However it does have a roof and a guy about 2 benches to my left was shooting a braked SOMETHING.

I know I heard it EASILY ....thru.... the muffs. No earplugs with them though.

(I have replaced those muffs with the Howard Leight NRR 30 ones)

The Kaiser hearing aid provider has made some FITTED ones but we are still ...working... on getting the right one to be as good as the left one.

He "adjusted" the right one, but I can tell that when shooting (even .410) that the right one is not fitted as well as the left one.

Also when I remove the left one, I get a palpable suction sensation and the right one just comes out fairly easily.

It's what got me thinking of using COMMERCIAL plugs as I remember having a pair that seemed to suck themselves into the ear canal.

That was before the hearing loss, though.

It just SEEMS to me that a plug that EXPANDS into the earhole should be better than ANY "fitted" ones as they would "fit" each time.

I sure do wish the range would ENFORCE using their concrete pipes that are PROVIDED for the guys who shoot braked guns.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will research each of them.
I wasn't aware til now that even the PLUGS have a dB rating.

onward.....

g.willikers

And remember to check if the ear stems of your safety glasses aren't pushing the muffs off of your ears.
Same for the stock of your long gun.

FITASC

Any foam inner ear plug that you can completely insert fully in your ear so you can get the full NRR benefit.

Louca

For muffs, I have the Pro Ears Predator Gold (NRR 26) and I do NOT like them at all. The only good thing they do is electronically amplify ambient sounds. I am quite convinced they do not provide the 26 dB of hearing protection they claim.

I always use Hearos ear plugs (NRR 33). By themselves they are fine and I have never needed additional protection beyond what they provide. But sometimes I wear the Pro Ears on top of them, to amplify ambient sounds so I can actually hear people talking better as I shoot. Although there is a little (very little) added protection wearing both plugs and muffs, the main protection comes from the plugs.

Excoastie

I'm always wearing plugs while at work. My employer provides them, and I've always got about 10-12 pair thrown in a pocket of the back pack I use while at work. As a result I tend to collect a few pair at home as well. I've gotten where I just throw a couple of pair in my range bag, and then use them.

Plugs similar to these are what I use most of the time. I have found that the tapered plugs fit and work better for me than the larger or flat ones. I also tend to get pretty severe irritation if I use plugs other than the foam style, but then I'm usually wearing them for 8+ hours at a time (train horns are extremely loud, and a diesel engine under full load isn't quiet either).

Exco

jmorris

No earplugs I have tried get even close to the ones my ENT Doctor made for me. Insurance kicked in for them too.