Best Defensive Round: 45ACP or 357 Magnum?

akr

I would like to know from the ones who REALLY know, which is the best defensive round, and the best for more controllable follow up shots. Is it the .45ACP or the 357 Magnum?

Officer's Match

If I had to depend on one well placed shot, I'd trust the 357 Magnum. But I don't want to depend on one shot, so the better followup (at least in my hands) of the 45acp makes it the choice I'm more comfortable with (and that in and of itself is a compelling reason).

monkeyboy

they both work.

Stopping power is all the same.

45 has more rounds and is more controllable in a easier to conceal package.

SmokinTom

As an ex-cop and into the shooting scene for 40+years I would take the 357 over the 45 any day for a defensive weapon. No other,period.

Archie

Another factor...

The weapons themselves.

I would be more than happy with a .357 Magnum S&W revolver in either Combat Masterpiece (M19) or .357 Magnum (M27) configuration. I really don't care for a 'J' frame .357 Magnum.

I would also be more than happy with either a Colt Government Model or Commander in .45 ACP. I would not want to carry the cut-down Detonics sized guns.

The rounds themselves (presuming the ammunition configuration is intended for self-defense; no FMJs, thank you) are equally suited to the task of self-defense.

I've carried the above referenced combinations on duty. I'm comfortable with them. I probably lean toward the revolvers, but that's just my personality.

AK103K

Best of both worlds, 12-13 rounds of 357SIG in some of your favorite, easy shooting autoloaders. :)

ckd

If you do a search for objective data, the .357 still has the greatest one shot stop percentages. I'm still a fan of accuracy over caliber and what will you really carry all the time. My 2 cents.

BigJimP

They are both equally capable of performing very well in a defensive situation.

For me, it comes down to the delivery system - the gun. In a .357 mag I like a 6 " barrel on a big N frame S&W revolver ( that's not easy to conceal, if I wanted to carry it ). But it's a great weapon coming out of my "sock drawer" if I hear something go bump in the nite .....

A .45 ACP in a 5" model 1911 - is one of my all time favorite guns. It has 8 rounds and I would not hesitate to use it defensively. But a 5" barrel on a 1911, even though it's a single stack, is still a pretty large gun to conceal.

But if I could get to either gun - a S&W Revolver or a .45 ACP 1911 - I'd be perfectly content to take on all comers ...... and am very confident of my sucess with either weapon / either cartridge.

SeaMariner

Neither.... They are pistol cartridges... fight your way to something else, be it a bigger gun (rifle or pistol) or a faster mode of transportation....

Be that as it may, producing (or threat there-of) a hangun solves 90% of altercations... a further 2% require a so called "warning shot" and the rest are resolved with some exchange or one-sided offering of fire. Since he who shoots first, fast, and on target normally wins, by incapacitation or withdrawl of opponent(s), then analysis follows as such.

That being side, the .45ACP generally comes in a more concealable package with lower muzzle flash (for low light engagements), faster rate of fire/reload, and greater quantity per loading of the pistol. Thus, as long as you have no personal objections... statistically, the .45ACP is a marginally superior chambering.

However, if you can't shoot for crap with a semi-auto frame but can't miss with a revolver, well.... your choice of the .357 is not as inferior, given concealment accomodations and practice, as the .45ACP

ohen cepel

For what they are the .357 is the best thing you can put into a handheld weapon for man sized targets.

Sig didn't create the .357SIG to copy a bullet that wasn't effective.

Not to say that many other things won't work. However, the .357 is what everyone is comparing the next new round to in terms of performance.

If I want a faster 2nd shot I think a 9mm is a better option myself.

The Body Bagger

As an ex-cop and into the shooting scene for 40+years I would take the 357 over the 45 any day for a defensive weapon. No other,period.

As current cop and in the shooting scene for 7+ years, I would take .357mag any day as well, although the .45 is no slouch. If it depended upon one hit, .357 magnum.

Moloch

.357mag for sure. The .357 has a lot of sectional density and speed.

The .45ACP is a nice cartridge but IMO it lacks too much of speed, the .357 mag is heavy and fast; it penetrates deep and makes a much wider wound channel.

sasquatch

Since follow-up shots are part of the equation, I would say the .45 ACP.

When shooting both in a darkened room, I find that the muzzle flash from a short-barreled (4") .357 mag is virtually blinding. Not as much with the .45.

A friend and I were shooting last Saturday at an outdoor range in South Louisiana. I'll give the name of the range if you PM me. He had a 5 or 6 inch Taurus .357/38 and I had my 1911. The range was equiped with resetable 8 inch steel plates at 25 yds. They fell over when hit, they were on an a-frame; resetable by pull rope. I dont think I'll ever forget what happened next.. He was shooting prety much everything out of his .357, I mean EVERYTHING. He could not knock the pie plates down with one round at 25 yds. Next, he brought out his Glock 19; shooting everything out of it, Ranger, Winchester SuperX, Federal. You name it he shot it. He could not knock the pie plates down with one shot. Usually it took 4 or 5 shots. I stepped up with my Springer GI with Wolf ammo. You read that right, WOLF 230gr. FMJ (the 9.00 a box crap) , and proceeded to lay the plates down with one shot each. To me that means something; energy. I'll stick with ol' slabsides thank you. Bring up whatever equation or formula you want; knock my theory, your welcome to it. But if I cant knock a pie plate down at 25 yards with a round, I'll be dammed if I trust my life with it, the energy transfer just isnt there. I'll trust old slow and heavy. And take the extra 2 rounds.

The Body Bagger

Soft bodied target are not the same as metal plates. Do something similar with an AR with 5.56 55gr rnds and your .45 acp. Still think a .45 will do more damage?

I dont see how your post is relevant. The .223 will undoubtedly knock down pie plates out to a couple hundred yds. Whats your point, Im missing it:confused: .?

Edited. .... Are you incinuating that Im implying that simply because a .357 is of smaller diameter than a .45 ACP it automaticlly means it wont contain as much energy? Thats absurd.

akr

This is off subject a little, but there was a man where I used to live that was shot between the eyes with a .357 magnum close up, and he lived.....not sure about brain damage extent.

Jason_G

.357 magnum is a heck of a round, and I have alot of admiration for it. I prefer semi's over revolvers for carry purposes though, so .45 ACP is the easiest and best choice for me. I've never shot the .357 Sig, but would be interested to try it for comparison to the magnum.
I do want to share a little anecdote, though:
A friend of mine came out to my house to shoot handguns with me, and he brought his .357 Ruger SA. We were shooting at an old laundry detergent jug (one of the big square ones that you sit on a shelf that have the spout) full of spent brass (to weigh it down). We started out shooting .45's at the jug. I had my USP, and he had a Sig P220. The jug would move a little when struck, but not a whole lot. Then he brought out his .357 revolver to let me shoot it. The jug went flying up into the air a good 3'. I was quite impressed. The flipside is that the recoil made it a slow shooter, at least for me. No quick second shots, not with any degree of accuracy. If you know how to manhandle the weapon like some guys (Jerry Miculek is the king), then you might not have a problem with follow ups, but I couldn't do it too well.
I think that it's a poor idea to use anything for SD that you cannot get fairly accurate follow up shots with. Even the mighty .357 magnum will not stop a determined individual without key first shot placement, which might be tough when the adrenaline is pumping.
For me: .45 ACP for SD, .357 magnum for fun. If you can handle the recoil of the .357 (I mean really handle it to the point that you can fire accurately with a reasonable degree of speed), then more power to you.

Jason