Best defensive ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just out of curiousity what are your opinions on the best type of 40 ammunition for home and or personal defense? keep in mind I have a 40 caliber.
AKA glazer, hollow point, ball, flatnosed?

Mike Spight

IMOH, hollow points, 165 to 180 gr in weight. Those by any reputable manufactuer that will FUNCTION WITH 100% RELIABILITY in your handgun will do just fine, as long as you put them in the right place.

Remember, you want a round that will penetrate a minimum of approx 12" in ballistic gelatin. Check out www.firearmstactical.com for evaluations of various types and brands.

Mike

Yanus

I keep Federal 165 gr HP Personal Defense
ammo in my wife's Firestar. It's a little
pricey to practice with, but it will stop
any goblins.

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor
injury. Machiavelli

David

I began with the Federal Hydro Shock until I read the tests at the Firearms Tactical Institute web site, stated above. It got farly low ratings, despite what I read in the gun mags.

Now, based on calibrated geletine tests I have read, I use either Reminton Golden Saber, or Speer Gold Dot.

As Mike Spight stated, above, I recommend Firearm Tactical Institute's great sight. You can read the facts and decide from that.

David

[This message has been edited by David (edited November 15, 1999).]

Ben

I like the .40 bullets in the 155 -165 grain category. I like the extra velocity so the HP has a greater likelyhood of expanding. Cor-Bons's 135gr is supposed to rock.

If I wanted 180 grains, I'd move to a .45 ACP.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
We may split too many hairs here about ammo choices for major calibers,which the 40 is.

Ammo choice is mo' crucial for the small stuff, like 9mm and 38 Special.

Try a messa stuff, and go with the high performance stuff that groups best,IF you've got 100% reliability.

I use a 45, and my choice was made by the above. It's Silvertips.There's hotter stuff out there, but this groups great and never has caused any FTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.