Best defense load for .22 Mag NAA-Mini Revolver

Para Bellum

Hi Folks,

I own a NAA .22 Mini Magnum with a 1 5/8 barrel.

My friends an I will test several miniguns (LCP, TPH, NAA Minimag) in wetpacks soon (and will post the results here). What would you suggest as best defense load für the NAA .22 Mini Magnum with a with a 1 5/8 barrel?

I assume a heavy bullet will perform best, but which one?

Thanks,
PB

bigghoss

I would think a FMJ to get necessary penetration but .22 mag is a poor choice for defense, especially the single action NAA.

IDAHOMIKE

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I would tend to think that the fmj would be the best choice. Of course, I suppose that out of a Mini, every bullet will act as an fmj, but I really don't know. My mind places penetration as an important factor so the fmj gets my vote.

Chesster

Wiith that short bbl, I would think there would not be much difference as long as the round goes "BANG". I use brand name 40gr HP in mine.

In my Pug the 30gr is way low, the 40 is still low, but the 45 is pretty close. If I could find some 50grain ammo that would be ideal I think.

Dynapoints don't always go off when I pull the trigger, CCI has been 100% reliable but the 40grn stuff tumbles out of my gun.

reppans

I have a new Wasp with only about 150 rounds and have only shot CCI and Winchesters. The 40grn CCI maxi mags are 100% reliable, but some tumbled occasionally. I do not recommend the Winchesters as they seem slightly thicker then the CCI.

This means that they do not seat well, or slide freely, in the chambers if it has any fouling whatsoever. I've had a few light primer strikes with them when the shell traveled the last 0.05" along with the hammer, effectively absorbing the ignition blow of the hammer.

I'm amazed at how accurate this little gun can be.... once you figure out how to hold it.

tulsamal

I'm amazed at how accurate this little gun can be.... once you figure out how to hold it.

I've got the 4 inch Mini Master version with both cylinders and I feel the same way. It can give my Ruger Bearcat a run for its money from a rest at 10 yards or so. The Mini Master comes with the larger rubber grips. The sights are great. The really limited factor is that tiny spur trigger. I really think they should make a larger trigger for the Mini Masters. It is just so small (top to bottom) that there is no way to engage your trigger finger without also touching the frame. On a little lightweight gun, trigger control is absolutely critical. The slightest mistake and you shoot a foot wide. So that trigger and I go round and round. When I have the time to really concentrate, it will shoot. And the longer barrel helps a lot with velocity.

Gregg

L_Killkenny

Is there a best? I'm sure there may be but it's gonna be a million to 1 that the .22M cartridge you stick in your gun is gonna make a difference on life or death. It's kinda like asking whats the best 158gr .38sp HP +P load is for SD. Do you really think there is enough difference in any of the available choices to turn a .22m from a pea shooter into a man stopper? The marketing folk will tell you there is but there is dozens of variables that will come into play before the difference between .22M HP vs. FMJ or 40gr. vs. 45 gr. come into play.

Ya want what's best from a .22M? Shoot the one that goes bang every time and spend any time thinkin about load differences practicing instead.

LK

Obambulate

Most .22 Mag ammo is designed for rifles, but the Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense were designed for short barreled handguns. I believe the test platform for the Speer engineers was the NAA Black Widow with 2" barrel.

bikerbill

Hornady has new 45gr Critical Defense loads for .22mag, that is what I carry in my Pug ... very accurate at SD distances (7 yrds) ... another new and well-received round is the 40gr Speer Gold Dot ... BTW I only carry the Pug in my neighborhood, walking the dog, etc ... if we're going outside our little town, I CC something with a little more punch ...

cole k

Was far was I'm concerned he NAA .22 Mini Magnum is as worthless as titts on a boar hog; BUT, it beats nothing at all!!!

chewie146

I usually carry FMJs or JHPs like the CCI mini mag. Both will penetrate pretty well, as those JHPs probably won't expand. If I'm hiking in the canyons around town, and I don't have something bigger, the first shell is usually rat shot. There have been known to be rattlesnakes around here.