best daily carry revolver NOT in pocket

porkskin

of those of you who tote revolvers on your belt or shoulder, what is the best of breed. Yes I have a 638 that rides in pocket almost all of the time, but beyond the pocket what is best? I have only belt carried a Smith 66 in 4'' and Colt Cobra.

KyJim

I often will wear a 637 with an IWB, clip-type holster. It's fast on and off. I seldom carry a revolver with an OWB holster for concealed carry, but when I do, it's most often a 3 inch SW Model 60 or, on rare occasion, a 2 1/2 inch SW Model 19.

Gonzo_308

best carry revolver would be the 3" bbl K frame 357.

Models 13,65,19,66.

They balance well, shoot well pretty much carry on your hip well too.

Kreyzhorse

I often will wear a 637 with an IWB

The 637 Airweight is the best carry option. I own both an SP and an Airweight and the Airweight is my choice for two reasons. The Airweight is much lighter and in my opinion, easier to carry for long periods of time. Secondly, the Airweight has a much better trigger on it than the SP. While the SP has improved from when it was NIB, the Airweight trigger is still much better.

I'm not slagging on the SP here, it is a fine gun unto itself, but from a CCW standpoint, the Airweight is the ultimate carry snubby.

18DAI

My preference is a 2.5", pre lock S&W model 66-2. Good weight and balance, and superbly accurate.

When I need a lighter, better concealing revolver, I carry my Colt Cobra. Nice carrying guns both. Regards 18DAI.

45_Shooter

best carry revolver would be the 3" bbl K frame 357.

Models 13,65,19,66.

They balance well, shoot well pretty much carry on your hip well too.

+1

If that's too large, a Colt DS or Cobra works well too, but .38 only

Cayoot

I searched for a long time for a concealed carry revolver that would be all I wanted. Finally I conceaded that I would have to always have a cover garment of some type, even if it was just an untucked tee shirt. I like a long barrel (for sight picture) however much experimenting showed that 4 inches was the absolute longest I could conceal with out wearing a jacket or vest, and often the tip of that would show.

In the end, I took my favorite revolver (a 6 inch 686+) and had it modified in 2003 to fit my final specifications. I have carried this revolver pretty much daily since having it converted, I'm convinced that it is exactly what I need.

Of course, there are times when I have to wear a tucked in shirt, without a cover garment. On those days, I have an SP-101 (3 1/16 bbl) that I wear in a "tuckable" IWB holster.

Anways, here is my favorite daily carry:
It has been cut down to 3 3/4" barrel, had a SDM gold dot front sight installed, cylinder machined to accept moon clips, ball detent moved from the end of the ejector rod to the crane (for improved consistency in lock-up), Extra large cylinder release, tuned action (of course), forceing cone had the sharp edge on the right side slightly rounded (cuz I kept cutting my finger on the forcing cone during speed reloads), trigger polished, smoothed and rounded, and finally, given a set of S&W PC combat grips.

I love this gun!
686001.jpg

686002.jpg

686003.jpg

John Moses

As one that carries all day/every day, a full size weapon gets old very fast.

Something as heavy as 66 or a SP101 are out as far as I am concerned.

I would suggest a prelock Smith.

My belt often has a Colt Detective Special on it.

not pre lock... but my daily carry rig... love everything about it ( but the hole in the side :( ) but it's been trouble free so far...

... & it's so light you can forget you have it on...:eek:

attachment.php

The Great Mahoo

I carry a Taurus 651 revolver w/ 2" barrel most of the time. Small, not too heavy, and plenty of power being a .357. I use an IWB holster hidden by a cover garment. I know Taurus has a shady reputation, but i've had no problems thus far, after several months with the gun.

My new glock may soon replace it as my carry choice, though the 651 is smaller.

azredhawk44

My SP101 gets carried most out of any of my revolvers.

+1 to the K-frame suggestions above though. I've handled some M19's and was really impressed with them. I may have to pick one up some day. Much handier than a 686 or a GP100, almost felt as nimble as my SP101, but 6 shots instead of 5.

BillCA

The only Airweight wheelgun I carry is a S&W 432PD in .32 H&R Magnum. It's a potent little gun that weighs almost nothing (15.5oz). I'd really like to find a good Model 38.

For small, I have the S&W 649 .357 bodyguard which rides in a open top IWB holster. I also have both the 2.5" Model 19 and Model 66 which are larger, for OWB carry.

For daily carry, the 649 is fine. It's small enough to be hidden even in summer and packs plenty of punch.

j-framer

I would suggest the all-steel S&W J-frame .357, in whatever frame configuration floats your boat, which is to say, any of the models 60, 640 or 649.

funon1

a 66 is a nice choice

I would carry any 3-4" magnum wheelgun with which I was very comfortable. It really depends on the purpose, your attire etc. For bear defense I'd step up to a 2.5-4 inch .44 Magnum , .454, or better snub .500 with 700grain loads. The .454 is a nice compormise, but might be a bit bouncy until you get used to her.

funon1