Best Concealed Carry .357 magnum?

Dogger

I am in the market for a .357 CCW revolver again. Please give me your recommendation for your FIRST/BEST choice

Criteria (most to least important)

1. Reliability
2. Concealability
3. Controlability
4. Accuracy
5. Trigger

Thanks!

6mm

I have a S&W 649 Bodyguard 357mag. Its had 100's of rounds thru it since i bought it a couple of years ago. It reliable and accurate and easy to concel,and its never been a problem to shoot full loads in it. For a backup gun it can't be beat. Alot of our deputies carry ppk's and glock 27's, but everyone in our dept that has shot this little pocket rocket, has tried to take it home.

By the way don't ask its not for sale at any price!

6mm

Rainbow Six

My vote goes to the Ruger SP-101, without a doubt! Small and concealable enough but still has enough "meat" to help make recoil easy to control. Mine is very accurate. Built like a brick outhouse and as reliable as a revolver could be.

More rugged and abuse tolerant than the small frame Sellouts & Wieners revolvers, in my opinion. I consider it to be on par with larger frame revolvers from other makers as far as durability and recoil control.

They are also available in .22LR which means cheap trigger control practice with a gun almost identical to your carry piece!! :)

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...

Smith & Wesson Model 19, 2.5"

A little bigger than the J-frame, a little heavier, but more durable in the long run, and more controlable.

Others are mentioning the Ruger SP-101. Good gun, if you like the grips. I don't, so it's not an option for me.

Also, the Ruger trigger is, generally, much inferior to the S&W trigger, and the S&W trigger is much easier to smooth & reduce pull weight on than the Ruger.

branrot

S&W Model 60. It's the J-frame. They make it in .38 and .357, but I speak of the .357.

My research showed that it is the smallest and lightest .357 (aside from derringers) made (including the Ruger). I don't knock the Ruger, it's just bigger and heavier. Picking between the chief's, bodyguard and centennial versions is a matter of taste. I went with the Chief's version.

Not that anything with a 2 1/8 inch pipe is going to be that accurate, but it's good. Never jams. Very easy to carry in a Bianchi ankle holster or in a dropped IWB holster (it holds the gun below the waistline so you can wear it with a tucked in shirt).

1911Ford

For my Wife's job she carries a .357 snubby but is only allowed to shoot .38 loads. She was only authorized to choose between Colt, Ruger, or S&W. Colt who quit making DA revolvers was obviously out. Although we did see one Magnum Carry that I really liked but by the time she was ready to make a decision it was LONG GONE. Next I tried to talk her into the Ruger because of what S&W has done. The Ruger is one stout gun. But IMHO not the easiest of the small frame .357's to conceal. Sad to say she ended up buying a model 640 S&W. I was mad for about a day but I got over it. It's not my gun. The WORST part of it is, is that the darn thing is probably the nicest gun we looked at. I would also suggest you take a look at the Taurus line. Something that was not an option for my wife.

------------------
www.1911forum.com

ruger357

Model 66 2.5 barrel. They have some nice aftermarket conceal grips out now. Trigger is a lot better than sp101.

brionic

I've got BOTH the M66 and SP101. Both are great and serve their roles well.

M66 is much larger. Smoother trigger pull. Six shots! Mine's got an aftermarket grip, which adds to the bulk.

SP101 is smaller, trigger feels "grittier". But I've dry fired it soooo much that it's pretty good compared to others I've used. Five shots = thinner cylinder. I've got aftermarket grips on this one, too, because the side-mounted screw was distracting and uncomfortable.

I love them both. I find the SP to be a lot easier to "conceal", but equally as controllable.

And, most important, any quality 2 1/4" revolver will be plenty accurate for defense work.

Regards,
--
Brian

riddleofsteel

SP101 Weigland Combat conversion .357 with cocobolo Houge mongrip

Ruger Speed Six with Eagle rosewood Secret Service grips

choice depends on my mood

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Let he that hath no sword sell his garment and buy one. Luke 22-36
They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night. Song of Solomon 3-8
The man that can keep his head and aims carefully when the situation has gone bad and lead is flying usually wins the fight.

Doc Mac

Several years ago I bought a 640-1 and took it up to Jack Weigand , who is not far from my home. He bead blasted the finish, polished the trigger face, did an action job, and installed a detent/ball lock on the weapon to enable it to stand up to full house .357 loads. the gun is a masterpiece. Weigand is a great 'smith I recommend him to anyone who will listen.

tony stapleton

I just traded a taurus ss seven shot 357
snub nose along with 170 dollars for a
S&W 640-1 5shot 357 hammerless. Did I do the right thing?

ohen cepel

I've carried a 2.5in S&W 66 that Pachmyar (spelling) customized for me. I love it, double action only trigger, no hammer to snag on clothing, polished chambers and trigger guard partially removed (half moon cut, but still covers trigger) to let my fat finger in it quicker.
Hard to beat plus I prefer stainless since it doesn't rust too quick.
I wouldn't buy a new one due to their treasonous actions. However, a bud just got a great used one for $325.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber

Condition One

I guess my choice is not available as a new gun anymore. Several years ago I purchased a S&W Lady Smith model 66 with a 2.5 inch tube. Put a wolff spring kit in her and it has the best double action of any revolver I own, and that includes an older Python. I'll take my Lady anywhere. Shoot Safe....CO

------------------
Never saw a gun I didn't
like.
TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000