Best Choice: .45ACP Conversion

Dan31

I was wondering which DA revolver would be a good choice to have it converted over to .45ACP. Would it be better to find one with the barrel length and sights I want already on it or?

This would be a backup gun so its all the same ammo.

WC145

Pretty much the only DA revolver your going to be able to convert to .45acp at a reasonable price is a .45 Colt, but the initial cost of the gun will be high. I agree with bamabiker, just find yourself a revolver that is already chambered for .45acp and call it good.

DFrame

You'll probably save yourself some money and aggravation if you just find a gun you like. S&W has made 45 ACPs in many configurations over the years. There are also many old Colt New Services out there though they're often old military guns and perhaps not to your liking.

testuser

Either way, any revolver in .45 ACP is going to be on a large frame and probably close to 40 something ounces. Fine for a primary sidearm, but it's likely will be just as heavy as what you're carrying.

I'd look for a .38 or .357 magnum revolver or go with a compact .45 ACP auto, like an Springfield XDS. Or possibly a scandium frame 325 revolver, still large in it's dimensions, though.

Deaf Smith

Yea for the cost of converting search for a 3 inch 625.

attachment.php

Mine, the one on the right, is excellent! I use .45 SUPERS all the time in it.

230gr JHPs at over 1000 fps. Good for anything in Texas. If I need more that .44 Magnum on the left, my Mountain Gun, will do the deed.

Deaf

Bob Wright

For whatever its worth, many have chosen the Model 28 Smith & Wesson Highway Patrolman for conversion to .44 Special or .45 ACP.

Also, if you can find one, the old .38-44 Heavy Duty Smith.

The advantage to using these of course, is that they're carbon steel and are blued.

Bob Wright

publius

Please, please, please, don't convert a model 28 or a 38-44. They are excellent guns and are getting hard to find.

Dan31

Just buying one at the current prices are just a little bit too lofty for me. For what they want I could just buy another 2011 double stack and carry two but I wont.

feets

Try a S&W 325.
Lightweight frame, 2-3/4" barrel, and round grip frame. It's no cheaper than the 625 but it's a bit lighter to haul around.