Best cheap .50 bmg ammo.

MosinM38

Just curious if anyone has had experiance with PMC or American Eagle .50 bmg ammo?

I had planned on getting some American Eagle ammo at first o get comfortable with the .50, then get some higher quality match ammo once we're used to it.

However I was just looking and there is PMC .50 ammo for about $40 per hundred cheaper....

Is it any good?

Normally I'd go with it, but I was very unpleasently surprised by their .223 ammo. Accuracy was okay, but 55 grain ammo was going only 2700FPS.

I figured after the first 100 "generic"s like American Eagle/PMC,etc. I'll get some Barret ammo, it seems decent.

Cheap and .50BMG don't go together. It's basically a fierarm related oxymoron. Nothing about shooting a .50BMG is cheap. The rifles are not cheap, optics that will handle the recoil are not cheap, even the ammo at best will cost you $3 or more per round...

I would suggest reloading, but to be able to buy enough powder for 1000 rounds of .50 BMG, you might get looked at real hard by the ATF...

kraigwy

Here is an ideal for you 50 cal shooters. I have a mold for 375 bullets that use 375 outside diameter (OD) that is cut to lenght, placed in a mold, giving you "Jacketed Cast Bullets". Fairly accurate if you use care in casting and tube cutting. Note to mention pretty dern cheap. Why can you get RCBS or some othe mold maker to make one.

375 Bullet Mold: Note: I didnt have any good bullets cast up, the picture shows some rejects, but you get the ideal.

jacob%20066.jpg

MosinM38

I agree, handloading is the way to go. :D

However I figured for our first "Foray" into it, we should use a little factory ammo to get into it, and then we can save the brass for reloading. Brass is expensive enough that I figured we could get a "Base amount" of brass through shooting.

Plus I don't know how much it will actually be shot. At first I was thinking not a whole lot, but every .50 owner I've seen, seems addicted to shooting them :D

mrawesome22

Hand loading will set you back quite a bit as well. Ever priced dies and a press for the big 50?:eek: Not to mention the IMPOSSIBLE to find primers and that there is only about 30 rounds in a pound of powder. Rich man's toy for sure.