Best Case Trimmer?

reynolds357

Who makes the best case trimmer for rifle cartridges. I finally wore my 30 year old Lyman out. The new Lyman seems like junk compared to the old one. I have a Forster I use for inside ream and trim, but looking for something faster for my non bench rest cartridge prep.

condor bravo

Hornady has a neat looking motor driven gadget called a case prep trio for $80 but the trio does not include trimming. It simply deburs, chamfers, and cleans primer pockets. For a motor driven tool that also trims, price range is in the vicinity of $300 to $400. The least expensive might be an RCBS for $300. So considering price there's hardly any "best".

Last edited:

Tsquared

As many problems I have had with Lee equipment the Deluxe Power Quick Trim has done a great job. I am using an older rechargeable power screwdriver to power it.

hounddawg

I have a Wilson with a power adapter, a WFT in .223, and a Lee quick trim. Overall I like the Wilson set up the best when used with a power screwdriver

Last edited:

Doublehelix3216

Giraud tri-way trimmer is a gem! I love mine, and have it mounted on a Harbor Freight buffer motor with a foot switch!

Had a buddy build the frame out of stainless steel, cut off one end of the shaft, and then added a coupler to the other end.

Pure trimming bliss!!!

Hs7Zvjw.jpg

F. Guffey

Case trimmers: I have case trimmers, lots of case trimmers; I do not have a favorite, it is not like the trimmers are hollering, "pick me, pick me" when I choose. In my collection of trimmers I have forming ties that double as case trimmers. The trim/form die is used with a hack saw and fire, I have used air craft countersinks when trimming with the forming dies.

I had a Gasey and a Dillon case trimmer and then I sold them.

F. Guffey

RC20

The best are the off the shoulder three way trimmers.

Gerard Tri Trimmer is the best if you have fewer than 4 calibers.

You don't need power adaptors or anything, chuck it into a drill and clamp the drill upside down in a vice and you have a motorized unit, from the front where its easy to access and you can process 500 cases in 30 minutes or less.

I can be very comfortable sitting and the clamped drill frees up both hands as its right in front of you.

Trim It II works as well the same way but it has a lot more adjustments and 5 different hex wrench to do them (ugh). I only have one because I could not get a Gerard Tri in my caliber (7.5 Swiss). So I appreciate the option of the TI II Trimmer.

Little Crown WFT is a good unit but is limited to trim. Does not chamfer or deburr. Ok for limited number of hunting loads, the Tri Trimmers are a time saver if you run larger batches of brass (I typically do upwards of 300-500 at a time in 3 calibers)

If you have more than 4-5 calibers, then the Motorized Gerard cost wise starts to be the way to go. 6 for sure

Mostly from the standpoint of cost, the drill clamped in the vice works as well as the Gerard motorized (I got to use the motorized to start with)

But at the cost of the Tri Trimmer, at 4 you are close to a motorized with a trim set.

Once you have the motorized you can buy adaptors and change them out as a kit (rather than adjust) and the cost is a lot better than an individual entire Tri Trimmer.

hdwhit

reynolds357 asked
Who makes the best case trimmer for rifle cartridges.

Forster. - - Hand's down. End of discussion. No debate. ;-)

When you ask about the "best" of anything on a forum like this, you are going to get people telling you to 1) get what they have, or 2) get what they would have gotten if they could spend your money instead of theirs.

I always suggest people ask for an explanation behind any recommendation.

I have a Forster classic case trimmer. It is the classic hand-cranked one. I reload on a single stage press in batches of 25, 50, 100 or 200 rounds at a time. My Forster was inexpensive to buy. The pilots and shell holders work with remarkable ease. It has served me for 25 years. The cutter lasted for about 10,000 rounds before it got noticeably dull and replacements are readily available.

RC20

Forster. - - Hand's down. End of discussion. No debate. ;-)

When I see that I have to chuckle.

Have you tried a Off the shoulder trimmer? Chamfer and deburr as well.

I can process 300+ rounds in 30 minutes.

So no, its not hands down, it may be a choice.

Having used both and having worked with tools all my life for a living, I can tell you good from poor, ok from bad.

Its not that hand cranks are bad or don't work, they are just out of date.

A bit like sticking with corded drills when there cordless are out there.

I do own a corded drill and I do use it (not a case trimmer driver for the most part)

I also was one of the first to adapt a cordless. Why? Because I could do a job that I was having to hand crank hex bolts in. You could not stink a corded drill around without endless snagging.

We don't hand crank our cars anymore, someone figured out that was a tedious and rough way to go.

And yes I do use the hand trimmer, I had 40 rounds of 270 to trim that is a hunting rifle.

It did it fine, but I can tell you, its sure is nothing like the Tri Trimmer and corded drill driving it. If I go to shooting much more of that 270 caliber, Tri Trimmer it is.

Emerson Biggies

I've used Lee trimmers and an RCBS lathe trimmer, but the best so far is the Frankfort Arsonal Platinum Series power trimmer. I love it. Look around, they get down to about $85 on sale.

roc1

Ditto Wilson Sinclair best I ever used by far lot easier and more accurate than lathe types I’ve had.