best camp/trail pistol?

hagar

Glock 20 loaded with 175gr Silvertips. Sorry, not knocking revolvers. Saw it was a revolver forum after I posted.

beemerb

K frame S&W.M-19 prefered.But buy used not new and in 4 inch.Good easy carry and many choices of ammo to tailer to situation.

frontlander

I think you will find that for overall versatility the 4" .357 magnum with adjustable sights in either S&W or Ruger form will be the cat's meow. The Model 19 or the 66 (stainless version) are excellent revolvers with out of the box trigger pulls that are usually outstanding. The Ruger is brute tough and will last longer on a steady diet of full throttle magnums than the Model 19. A better comparison would be the S&W 686 to the GP100. I hear the 686 is beefed up quite a bit. I don't have experience with the 686 so I won't comment on its shootability. I might also suggest the old style -Six Rugers. They can be found for less than $200. I've always liked the Speed Six: stainless steel and fixed sights and quite a bit sleeker than the GP100. No handgun can be perfect for all the uses that you list. The .357 is great for defense and adequate (not ideal) for hunting. If concealed carry was not emphasized in your post I would have gone with the 4" Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum Mountain Gun. An N-frame Smith can be concealed but its not easy and requires certain wardrobe modifications (at least on my 5'11 150 lb frame) that the K frames don't require.

mikey357

My recommendation for a "best all-around" handgun would be some form of stainless-steel four-inch-barreled .357 Magnum revolver. Being partial to S&W's[now,guys...hold down the noise!], I'd suggest either a Model 66[K-frame] OR a Model 686[L-frame...larger and more durable than K-frame]. My PERSONAL choice would be a four-inch Model 686...now, do I want the standard six-shooter OR the seven-shot 686 "Plus"??? AAHHHH, decisions, decisions....mikey357

LIProgun

Depends what you're hunting.

The .357 Magnum suggestions are not bad at all, but I prefer a .41 Magnum, and I'm sure others will suggest a .44 Magnum or .45 Colt with hot handloads.

My preference goes to the S&W Model 58, or a 4-inch S&W 57 or 657. I also couldn't argue with a S&W 29/629, or even a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero in .45 Colt.

J. Parker

Best camp/trail pistol? It certainly depends on whats in the woods that you frequent. IMHO, there's only one determining factor; The average size of the BEARS in the region. From what I understand bears back east can be twice the size as our western bears. If the Black bears were 150 to 250lbs. I'd be comfortable with a 357 magnum and Federal's 180gr Hardcast loads. Above 250 I'd carry a 41 magnum or above. If you add hunting then maybe a six inch barrel for a little more performance and better site radius. If bears aren't in the equation then anything 9mm and above will work. Does the pistol have to be super light? Or will 30ozs. or so work? The heavier the pistol/revolver the lesser the recoil and recovery time. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

Cap n ball

Assuming that one or two shots would be sufficient I'd stick with my 45Cal Remington rolling block with either snake loads or normal slugs. It's not a revolver but it would be my choice for a camp pistol.

DennisE

Best Camp/Trail Pistol

Assuming big bears aren't an issue, I vote for my 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum/9mm Convertible. In fact, I like it so much I'll give it two votes. :) Dennis