Best caliber for cheap quality ammo? 9x19, 40SW, 45 acp?

Glamdring

I started wondering the other day if it might actually be easier to find good SD ammo at a fair price for the 40 S&W than it is for the 9 or 45.

Unless your in LE the only full power 9mm's load you can get are corbon's which are good but not very economical.

With the 45 my first choice is 230 grain hydra shocks or a +P 200 or 185 grain JHP, again not very cheap.

I noticed that there are a lot of "full power" 40 S&W loads with 155 JHP bullets, Federal and such will load 155's in the 40 to same velocity they load 115's in the 9mm.

Shmackey

I'm confused when you say that you need to be an LEO to get full-power 9mm ammo. I'm not arguing with you, just confused.

Can't you get +P+ ammo from online stores like ammoman.com?

blades67

:confused:

I use 124-grain and 147-grain loads from Federal (Hydra-Shok), Speer (Gold Dot) and Winchester (SXT) in my 9mm handguns. These are the same brands (albeit in 230-grain loads) I use with my .45 ACP handguns. I don't consider these less than "full power" loads. What do you consider "full power"?

Glamdring

Here in the US the pressure levels used for the 9x19 are low. Cor bon's 115 JHP @1350 fps is still below Nato pressure levels.

Typical non +P+ loads for the 9x19 from say Federal push a 115 @ 1160 fps.

While a typical 155 grain load for the 40, which is fired is same gun as the 9 by simply changing barrel and springs (more or less), will do 155 @ 1140 fps.

I wasn't talking about online ordering, that isn't always an option for me.

riverdog

The ammo you're looking for is available at gunshows and online. It may be inconvenient, but it's also cheaper. You seem to be trying to rationaize a move to 40SW -- Just Do It.

David Scott

CDNN's last catalog was offering cases of Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P+ in 9mm. I've seen +P+ at gun shows. As far as I can tell, there's no law against selling it to civilians, just a "gentleman's agreement" among ammo manufacturers.

Handy

I bought several boxes of Speer 124 gr. 9mm +P for $7.95 a box from Miwall.

What are you talking about?