Best bullet grain for .45?

Drjones

What is the best bullet weight for defense and why?

My bullets of choice are Speer Gold Dots, and I got 230gr.

Would lighter be better?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of light vs. heavy?

Thank you
Drjones

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Most 45's were "designed' to shoot the 230 gr ammo, and I think the best 230 gr load out there is the hydra-shock. Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Fail-Safes are all good too.

However, I mixed up a wicked hot (not +p but close, load) mix of 200 gr Hornady flat nose fmj and 9 grain of AA#5. I've never seen a commercial load that comes close to that one.

Most of the 185 gr stuff on the market shoots significantly higher from point of aim on my fixed sight handguns.

blades67

Many feel that the standard 230 grain loads are fine with a full size gun but that some of the lighter weight bullets are better when carrying a short barrel gun due to the resulting velocity losses.

motorep

I think that you'll find most people using the 230s. I prefer the lighter 185/200s, they're flatter shooting than the 230s. I sight in at 25 yards and they're flat to there.

Frohickey

Depends on the barrel length of the gun.

Speer Gold Dots, 230grain +P are good for shorter barrel 45s, in that you need the extra power to push them faster out of a shorter barrel. A certain range of velocity is needed in order to open up the bullet.

If you go too fast, the bullet opens up too soon, and you lose penetration.

juliet charley

A certain range of velocity is needed in order to open up the bullet.
That is why a lighter bullet is contraindicated in a shorter barrel weapon. While they may have a greater velocity than a heavier bullet, they lose more velocity proportionally and have a greater chance of dropping below the needed velocity range to provide adequate expansion.

"That is why a lighter bullet is contraindicated in a shorter barrel weapon."

Question is, at what range does that happen?

Or, the bigger question is, does that really matter for the purposes for which most of us carry handguns -- short range personal protection?

If you're going to be expecting to be shooting at longer ranges, which is quite frankly somewhat hard to justify with a civilian CCW-type gun, my way of thinking is that you should already be carrying a longer-barreled weapon.

Just food for thought...

MrAcheson

At one point in time the 230gr JHPs had trouble with expansion. The big and slow bullet theory doesn't work real well for hollowpoints that need speed to expand especially since the bigger the HP the more force/speed it takes to expand it. I think the current HP designs have alleviated this problem though.

DrDremel

I would say that the 230 grain bullet is the .45 round. Anything else is a modification. I would not worry about barrel length. The 230 will do just fine at any speed a pistol can throw it.

Paul Fitz Jones

Retired Saeco Salesman

As the top salesman of California Saeco bulletcasting company til the death of the founder and sale of the company to back east, in the thousand of 45acp bullet molds I sold the 180 grain swc lead was for highly accurized weapons, the standard bullseye target bullet was the 185 gr #130 for many decades, The H&G 200 grain is very popular for combat shooters and in the 50 yard bullseye range and the 230 grain RN sold the least. The top seller today is the Saeco 068 200 gr SWC

Ca-Saeco made the most accurate 4 cavity with handles Competition Winning molds and I have some of each weight in my personal collection that I am selling for low prices. Send for a list of my remaining mold collection coffeyn1@juno.com

The attachment is what a mold looks like as an example

Attachments

• saeco 45-70 344 gr 3.jpg
    saeco 45-70 344 gr 3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 95

New_comer

The 45ACP should always be big and slow. At 230 gr and 850 fps.

Else it's magic will begin to fade.

Then the 9mm will no longer have a worthy pretender to its throne... ;) :D

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Depends on the gun. Runt's USP45c is much more accurate with 185gr than with 230gr. My late G21 wouldn't function with any 185gr!

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
All but one of my 1911s are currently loaded with 185gr +P Golden Sabers. I think it's the best because it was on sale. Check with me again in a couple of months when I've shot them all up to see what's on sa... er, best now. :p

sm

I Cheat

Along Tamara' s thinkin' Gunsmith orders big, a few of us split the order. Winchester 185 STHP always works. Got some 230 gr favorites too.
Range: we still like the 200 gr bullet from Montana bullets we load up...'nuther 20k bullets just came in. Most of us that split order learned looong time ago, get the reliable part figured, and at Defense distance...its the shooter not the bullet.

trapshooter

I like the Hornady 200gr XTP's, in front of Blue Dot. A nice compromise between velocity and energy. Easy to load. Yes, I carry reloads...mine, or factory ammo. But I like consistency, and I am more consistent than the factory, and I don't load hot. I don't load for anyone else. They only work in my weapons, no others. Mas Ayoob aside, I'll take my chances, since I don't CCW (check my state).

OTOH, like Tam, if I see a deal (either components or factory rounds), I am free to change my mind. I usually don't mess with sight adjustment when switching around, I move my POA instead. (I keep them set for my own load). It usually boils down to the difference between top, center, or bottom hold, at acceptable handgun ranges anyway.

WESHOOT2

JUST ME (and maybe a few million others)

I prefer, use, and recommend 230g bullets due to their sectional density and momentum.

That said, I can also offer reasons why a 200g or 185g bullet MIGHT be a correct choice; task-specific.

For social work suggest 230g.

sm

Task specific
185's for "indoor" offices, apts...
agreed- prefer the 230, SXT been working ok for 'social'

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Federal's 230 grain "Hydra-Shok's"

work for me, in my SIG-Sauer P220A!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

7th Fleet

Here's another vote for the good ole 230 grain which the gun was designed for. People generally choose .45s because they prefer heavy bullets, so why go with anything ligther?

7th