Best budget complete AR 15 complete upper: PSA or Aero Precision or ...?

Kurbsky

I have a cheap Tactical Macining stripped AR 15 lower and some spare parts I bought long time ago. So why not assemble yet another AR 15? I would like to find a budget complete m-lock upper 16" that would be reasonably accurate to up to 300 yards. It looks like PSA and Aero Precision are similar in prices and may do it. Can you please recommend what would be the best option, can be a different brand? I am willing to pay a little more for a visible difference in accuracy.

Chipperman

I think Aero may have a slight edge in quality, but PSA is fine.
Nobody can guarantee better accuracy at 300 yards for a lower budget upper.
I own both

Kurbsky

Thank you. I looks like PSA do not offer ant stainless steel barrel uppers for AR 15s. Is stainless steel better? On all my other AR 15s (I have 3) I have carbon steel barrels and don't have any problems with that. I put a coat of gun oil on all my barrels' inside at the same time intervals regardless of the barrel metal type.

sevt_chevelle

Aero, better fit and finish.
BCM makes a superior upper IMO, the upper extension to barrel is a nice tight fit.
Same with Grey Ghost, SOLGW, and Vltor, Ill pay a few more dollars and get tighter tolerances.

Kurbsky

Agreed that BCM would be better value...even though in my mind that will make it a "nice AR15" project. I will want a BCM lower, BCG etc. too and probably also will want to wait for the prices to settle down a little.

straightShot

I'm not sure what you mean by 'a budget complete M-lock upper." Current on-sale prices are still generally higher than the regular prices were at the beginning of the year. Good luck!

Kurbsky

Thank you. Yes, I agree that most gun related staff is more expensive most of 2020. In relative terms though, my perception of BCM has always been of a good quality and possibly very good value brand (never had anything BCM myself though) but not really inexpensive/ budget. I am glad it's not in the very expensive category like KAC or Noveske either.

TrueBlue711

A couple of other companies not many are aware of are Radical Firearms and Bear Creek Arsenal. I've had a Radical Firearms 300 Blackout upper for years and still shoots great. Last year, I got a 458 SOCOM upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. Haven't put many rounds through it yet, but so far so good. Both companies are priced about the same as PSA and Aero.

PSA is good (also have an upper from them), but they're starting to become so well known and popular that their stock isn't keeping up at the moment. I hear good things about Aero but don't have any personal experience with their products.

Kurbsky

Thank you... I guess now I need to figure out the availability between Aero Precision and BCM. A month ago I ordered an Aero Precision complete upper in 6.5 creedmoor from OpticsPlanet with estimated shipping date in early January - they extended it to the end of Feb... Even that is not guarateed. I don't see AR-15 complete AP or BCM complete uppers in stock anywhere either.

Kurbsky

Ordering an upper from AeroPrecision directly is around $100 more (compared to OpticsPlanet) - but it doesn't make a big difference to me. I will just order from them if they have it in stock.

Kurbsky

Today AP upper was available on their site for several hours. It was wrong color though. I need it in black.

wild cat mccane

Nitride over stainless. If that wasn't already answered.

BA barrels by Aero vs FN stock for PSA? You'll read a lot, but I don't see group comparisons much. Not a general hatred of psa...so...

rickyrick

The PSA FN barrel is a CHF “Double” chrome lining... or at least the barrels I’ve gotten there.

They pretty much look like government barrels, seem as accurate as any other barrels that are similar.

The BA barrels are nitrided, looks prettier and they seem to function as most AR barrels in the same price range.

The first AR I cobbled together was a PSA kit, still in use, but the stock, buffer tube, recoil spring, buffer and the FCG have been swapped out.

Really with PSA, I don’t like their shipping and I had a financial run-in with PSA. I think the PSA uppers are good enough though.