Best bolt "action"?

mySig229

I'm looking for a 308 bolt that either has a nice tactical stock or options for after market pistol grip/adjustable butt.

I'm not going to be using this for hunting. Just fun on the range kind of thing. With my experience and training though I'm more comfortable and shoot better with a tactical type stock.

A good example would be a Remington MSR look. Just so everybody kinda gets an idea

I just want something accurate and with a very nice action. I love a smooth action...ideas? Please include pictures if possible

Pond James Pond

If you have the money, the Steyr SSG 08, or Elite 08. I believe both come in .308.

Although it does not have quite that same "sports shooting" stock, the SSG 04 A1 may also be worth looking, with the nice feature of a second mag being store in that stock...

Otherwise, if you have even more readie$, or don't really need to own a house, you could look at Desert Tactical Arms: they have some very "focused" looking rifles!!
:cool:

If I had the money, I'd be very tempted by the Steyrs, although, I'd be leaning toward the SSG 69 or plain old Elite.

mySig229

Hmm...how about something I don't need to sell my first born in order to afford. I know my want list was short. Sorry. Let's say around $1k

If I was going to spend $5k on a rifle, it wouldn't be .308

Polinese

Plenty of chassis systems for the Rem 700 or Savage 10. Though doing it all for a grand might be iffy. AICS, I think Jae has a chassis for the remington, XLR Industries, JP enterprises.

BLUETIP

sorry no help on the rifle, but for tactical purposes check out McRee sniper rifle chassis systems. much less pricey than the Aics and they make them for rem. 700 and savage as well as others. you will then have the availability of 5 or 10 round mag.

If you want the best bolt action then be looking at the Accuracy International L96, or the Sako TRG 22.
Or for a straight pull bolt action a Blaser 93r Tac II.

These are some of which you called the best Tactical (sniper) rifles money can buy. Don't think they'll come cheap though.

taylorce1

With or without optics for $1k? Just about any Savage or Remington in a HB will get you started you can upgrade later as money comes in. I'd have to agree with the SAKO TRG as one sweet off the shelf setup.

5RWill

Wanting a nice chasis system and a good factory rifle for 1k is trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Pick up a 700p or 5R upgrade when you find time and money. There are other actions but the 700 is the most common, which you'll have a wide array of stock choices.

mySig229

I really like that for an out of the box. My only question is how long of a barrel should I get? I'm not a ballistics scientist, so call me ignorant...but, how big of a difference would a 24-26" barrel be over the 20"?

I'm not looking to shoot the wings off a fly at 1000 yards, but...am I wrong to want a tighter group?

I like the Blackhawk stock because of the recoil system, that way I can get my old lady shooting it too. But, buying a good 700 with nice barrel and a blackhawk stock wouldn't cost too much more. I do like the Hogue molds though...nice touch

Sorry for bantering on. I'm a stay at home dad at the moment. I need social stimulation. Lol

Saltydog235

Best Bolt Action?

Not sure if its the best "bolt" actions but I'd love to put some rifles together based on the Surgeon action. That's a good looking piece of milling.

jmr40

how big of a difference would a 24-26" barrel be over the 20"?
About 100 fps, maybe 125 fps. If you plan on shooting a 1,000 yards it might be a consideration. For 500-600 yards, not so much. In theory the shorter barrel will be stiffer and more accurate. Doubt if it matters much either. I personally feel the 22" barrel is the best compromise between portability and getting good velocity. That is a common length on hunting rifles, but most target guns make you choose between 20" or 24". A 26" is too specialized and wouldn't be something I'd want unless I did plan on 1,000 yard shots.

Big Shrek

For under a grand...hrm...actually its kind of easy...
Marlin X7-VH (heavy barrel) in .308 for around $359 from Bud's or whatever gun place you like ordering from...
Boyd's Tacticool laminate stock for $99 next time they do a run of 'em...
then use the rest of the budget for some nice Nikon glass!!

And you'd have cash left for ammo, sling, and a bipod!
And a keg of brew...

Picher

My Tikka .223 Rem is very accurate, as evidenced by a recent post with a picture of 100 yard, 1/4" consecutive groups posted in another thread. Handload was 25 grains of Accurate 2230, 50 grain Hornady SPSX, CCI primers.

Many heavy barreled rifles can shoot that well, but mine is a wood-stocked, sporter-barreled rifle with a 4.5-14x Mueller.

Note: This software wouldn't allow me to re-post the pictures submitted in an October 12th post.