Best AR15 trigger for the money

AL45

My Brother-in-law is building my wife's AR15. What is the best trigger for the money? I'm talking $120.00 or less. I am a single action revolver and lever action rifle guy, so AR15's are out of my realm of knowledge. My son owns one and I did help him build his, so I am familiar with the mil-spec trigger that came with it, but it was rather unimpressive, so I am looking for something in a 3-4 lb pull weight for my wife's gun. I appreciate your input.

DT Guy

A CMC on sale might meet your price point, and is an excellent trigger.

For ~$50 or so, you can get an 'enhanced mil-spec' trigger (polished and boron plated) at Right To Bear arms, and it's much better than a standard trigger; reduced creep and reasonable weight. Nowhere near a 'match' trigger, but much improved over the mil-spec.

Larry

Fishbed77

Right now it’s one of the LaRue MBT variants.

The MBT-2S is about 95% as good as a Geissele SSA-E for about 1/3 the price.

jmhyer

I have a Rise Armament 140 that I love. Easy to install and came with anti-walk pins included. As I recall, I paid about $100 for it...probably on sale.

Shadow9mm

I have 2 options for ya.

option 1 If you want an excellent trigger, Larue MBT. its about $80.00 direct from larue. I got a 2 stage trigger, 4.5lb total 2.5lb take up, with a 2lb break. However my trigger scale says its a flat 2.5lb. it does come with a heavier trigger spring that might bump it up a tad if you feel its too light. clear crisp break, never had a light strike. the trigger return does feel light/sluggish with the lighter spring.

Option 2 JP enhanced reliability spring it. its about $11.00 off midway usa It is intended to take a mil spec 6.5lb trigger down to 4.5lb. in my experience factory triggers are usually about 8-8.5lb and have a lot of grit and creep and are terrible. I have used the JP spring kit on a couple rifles now. It has reduced the pull by about 2lb, bringing the guns to the 6-6.5lb range and got rid of almost all the grit and creep. For the money I think it is an amazing value and makes a huge difference.

option 3, sort of. I did try the PSA enhanced nickel plated polished trigger group several years back, cant find it on their site anymore, I think it was about $25. the results were not impressive. they were an improvement over a mil spec group, but the results were about the same as the JP spring kit. 6is lb pull, got rid of almost al the grit and creep. Not worth it in my opinion.

If it were me, and your budget it $120 or less, and I wanted a GOOD trigger, the Larue hands down.

Last edited:

lll Otto lll

HiperTouch Reflex....adjustable pull weight of 2½ and 3½ lbs. Virtually no pre-travel or take up. Super crisp trigger break. (This is the same trigger used by Keanu Reeves in John Wick 2). This trigger can run really fast. I like them so much I bought six of them.

imashooter

Directly from the OP: "I'm talking $120.00 or less.". Why waste his time (and others) with hardware greatly exceeding that amount? Otherwise OP, you got some good recommendations short of that junky PSA trigger.

Shadow9mm

Directly from the OP: "I'm talking $120.00 or less.". Why waste his time (and others) with hardware greatly exceeding that amount? Otherwise OP, you got some good recommendations short of that junky PSA trigger.
It was a comparison of an "enhanced" mil spec trigger to some other options, NOT a recommendation, especially as I stated it did not even seem to be available anymore, and I did not think it was even worth the $25 I paid for it.

And yes, right there with you, the hipertouch is almost double the stated budget, waste of time.

brasscollector

I have a dozen of the RRA triggers in both match and varmint versions. They're nice, but I think the LaRue is slicker out of the box. I do have a few of my RRAs that have broken in nicely over time but IMO you get that feel from a LaRue as soon as its installed.

rickyrick

Depends... a stock cmmg Milspec’ish trigger is probably the best trigger for price.

There are several that are really nice, POF was a surprisingly good trigger for me. Geissele two stage is pretty nice.

All of the “first triggers” in my ARs are gone except for the CMMG trigger set, it was good enough to stay.

AL45

Thanks a lot for your input. While researching, I came across a Timney trigger on sale for around 120.00. It was said to be their low end trigger, but had a lot of good reviews. I believe it was the Timney Impact. I understand that Timney is supposed to make really good triggers. How would the LaRue compare to it? Again, thanks.

Shadow9mm

Thanks a lot for your input. While researching, I came across a Timney trigger on sale for around 120.00. It was said to be their low end trigger, but had a lot of good reviews. I believe it was the Timney Impact. I understand that Timney is supposed to make really good triggers. How would the LaRue compare to it? Again, thanks.
I have shot a Timney, and own a Larue. I bough the larue because it was a better price. If I had a choice between the 2, I would get the larue hands down.