Best AR-15 muzzle device

ohen cepel

Guys,
Bought the Bushmaster I was looking at for $675. Paid a little more than I wanted but had to put in on lay away before uncle sam sends me on another field trip.
Won't be back till after the election and am afraid of what the situation might be then.

My question is:
What is the best muzzle break/compensator to put on it?
Who makes it/where can I get it?
And, is it a gunsmith thing or can I do it?

I want to stay legal with it.

Thanks

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber

Mike Baugh

I had Wilson put one of his on my Bushmaster . If you dont use the set screw method like some models have you need to thread the barrel and permanently pin the compensator in place , this is how the Wilsons are done . I am happy with mine . If I remember correctly it was around $85 and I got it back in 3 weeks . Good luck , Mike...

Jaeger

Have you checked it's ability to supress flash? My AK74 style comp does a decent job of flash supression so I was wondering how the Wilson model does. Also, how is the noise level. My 74 is LOUD! If you have the opportunity to shoot it next to an uncompensated model at night I'd be interested in hearing the results.

Mike Baugh

I have not tried it at night but it is very loud . I am not a fan of compensators but it makes the post ban AR's look a whole lot better . Good luck , Mike...

M1911

None. There's no need for a compensator on an AR15. There's hardly any recoil to begin with. A compensator will make it louder and be more of a pain in the rear when cleaning.

A flash suppressor would be useful, but can't put those on a post-ban gun.

M1911

Morgan

M1911 -

I must respectfully disagree. Try shooting some 3-gun or combat stuff, and you'll find that while the recoil is never a problem, muzzle rise is. You can't get a super-fast second shot off until the sights are back on target. With a good brake (AK, whatever) the sights never leave the target.

Try 'em side by side and I think you'll agree with me.

WalterGAII

The JP is probably the most effective design; however, only after I received mine from DPMS did I realize that it wouldn't fit a Bushmaster barrel...only Colt. JP is going to be making the setscrew model for postban Bushy's around the end of the year.

I'm currently using a setscrew Smith, and I like it fine. It looks better than the JP, but I'm sure that the JP is more effective.

Another good reason to use a brake (not break) is to protect the crown.