Best aperture sight for 336

dvdcrr

Been looking at the Marlin 336 30-30. I am interested in learning more about the best options for available aperture rear sight, and front post or fiber optic front post for hunting. I have seen a marbles tang sight, and several models of Williams. I am a complete novice to these sights, and would like to know what people are using that works the best.

PetahW

Since they all pretty much work just fine, you have choices..........

All of the side-mounted receiver peep sights like Williams 5D-336 or FP-336, the Lyman, etc will usually zero using the issue height front sight - as will the William's pair made for top-mounting on Marlins that are not prepped (2 D/T holes) on the upper rear LH receiver wall.

OTOH, all other top-mounted receiver peep sights (Skinner, Williams WGRS, XS, etc), because they have a higher line-of-sight than side mounts, will also require a new front sight blade that's at least 1/10" higher than the issue front sight, in order to zero the rifle.

With whatever receiver peep sight, though, don't forget to remove the rear bbl open/iron sight (for a clean sight picture) & replace it with a dovertail filler blank, bought or made.

A 3rd choice, however, would be to switch out your rifle's rear bbl open sight for a folder, and mount a tang peep sight, thereby allowing you two different zeroes: a short range zero for the bbl sights, and a longer range zero for the tanger. (It's E-Z to hunt the bbl sight, then switch to the tanger for a long shot)

Last edited:

dvdcrr

Wow thanks for the information I am wondering are those aftermarket front sigh are those aftermarket front sight posts do people do people like the fiber optic

PetahW

YMMV - I long ago switched to FO front sights for all my sighted hunting rifles.

Aftermarket front sight blades, available from Williams, Lyman, Marbles, Skinner & others, all are available in just two bead sizes: 1/16" (fine) and 3/32" (coarse), and in the buyer's choice of an Ivory or Gold bead or a square post (Patridge) sight. (Skinner makes/sells only square post/Patridge front sights)

Fiber-optic front sight blades, available from Williams (FireSight), Hi-Viz, TruGlo & T/C, are available in the same fine/coarse bead sizes, and in the buyer's color of choice (red, green, yellow, amber, etc, etc) - to allow for different folk's color perception.

Like I said: Choices................:p

Last edited:

idek

About front sights, I got the winged rear Skinner Sight. This is lower profile and worked with the gun's existing front sight. This was true with the Marlin 1894. Not sure if it's true of the 336.

Either way, I bought one of Skinner's front blades. This seemed to improve my accuracy on targets, but in dimmer light (like you might encounter while hunting) the front post could be a little difficult to pick up quickly. So I switched to a small fiber optic bead. My accuracy on targets went back down a little, but I think it's a better setup for hunting.

Last edited:

Rob62

I like the Williams receiver mounted rear peep sights better than the Skinner's. But that is very subjective.

Regards,

Rob

tahoe2

peep on a marlin

the sight I like is a Williams sight WGRS model that screws into the rear scope mount holes, had to go with a taller front sight also Williams w/gold bead.

dgludwig

I've used the Williams "FoolProof" receiver sights on various rifles for over half a century now. Well-made, nicely finished sights from a company that has been a pleasure to deal with.

Sahof

I have the skinner 'Alaskan' it's so simple yet so affective. Looks absolutely beautiful on the rifle too.

garyhan

The Marble's tang sight is fast to use, allows great accuracy (I have shot 1" 100 yd groups with these sights0, and looks great on a lever gun.

gary