Best Ankle Gun

branrot

While ankle carry may not be the most perfect mode of carry, it's the most used by me. I'd rather have a gun at the waist than at the ankle, but I'd rather have a gun at the ankle than at home.

Anyway, I alternate between a few ankle guns, including the Walther PPK, Kel-Tec P11, S&W Model 60 in .357, and S&W Model 340 (the scandium). My favorite is actually the PPK, because I don't care for the P11's holster and I am more accurate with the PPK than the J-frames. I also like the PPK safety and feel more comfortable carrying with one in the pipe and without a thumbsnap.

Which do you prefer of these or any other guns, and why? Also, what holsters do you prefer (I love the Galco Ankle Glove).

blades67

My favorite ankle gun is my Mustang PocketLite. Even smaller and lighter than your PPK/s and fires the same round.

Greybeard

"While ankle carry may not be the most perfect mode of carry, it's the most used by me. I'd rather have a gun at the waist than at the ankle, but I'd rather have a gun at the ankle than at home."

Very well stated. Due to primarily to only 11 to 12 ounce weights, I have drifted to the S&W 342 or 340PD almost exclusively near ankle. Even tho only a few ounces more, a 15-ounce Model 638 can now feel "heavy" to me. With common lace-up boots, I do not even need to use the "garter thingie" that goes up just below knee. Warmer weather coming on tho and soon to transition to often carrying "airweights" IWB with draw-string shorts. Bianch speed strips keep reloads flat for insertion in pocket or old (padded) Guardian leather holster.

I have used both sizes of Crimson Trace laser grips on j-frames and become spoiled by the "overmolded" model. About 1/2 inch more to protrude, but an acceptable tradeoff for fit and recoil control. Warning: If you ever experience shooting a j-frame with a CT laser, you may be "hooked" - and they can cost about the same as a good used gun!
:eek: Greybeard

Soupah

Well, it's .32 ACP only, but when i wear my Kel-tec P32 in my Anklepocket holster, I totally forget it's there. The whole rig must weigh well under a pound.

IMHO, the P32 is what to bring when you can't carry OWB or IWB.
Stealthy.

Jeff OTMG

The S&W J-frame is the classic ankle carry gun and can be had in a weight that you find comfortable. I carried the Walther PPK as my ankle gun for better than a decade until I replaced it with the Kahr MK9. It is roughly the same size as a PPK, maybe a bit heavier, but it shoots a 9mm. If you don't like the weight the PM9 is due out later this year. I will have a PM9 for pocket carry and keep the MK9 for the ankle, unless I am just carrying the ankle gun or I am armed with something on my waist, then I will have the PM9 in the ankle holster. The holsters are Alessi ankle holsters.

Marko Kloos

These days, my ankle carry setup is a Taurus 731UL in .32H&R Magnum, riding in a Galco Ankle Glove.

The DeSantis DieHard is a similar design, and works just as well. (Got my DieHard for baby Glocks loaned out to a friend...the little Glocks are about as much weight as I want to carry on my ankle.)

andreb

Taurus 85 Titanium Ultralite

I won't say it is the BEST ANKLE GUN but in my opinion a lightweight .38 snub (Taurus, S&W, etc...) is the best combination of all factors considered when talking about ankle carry.

Regards,

André

Attachments

• ankle-carry.jpg
    ankle-carry.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 115

XDraw

Renegade

Whatever you decide to carry, try a Renegade rig (Phoenix, AZ). Some manufacturers make great setups for specific pistols, don't do so well for others, but these Renegades seem to work for almost anything. So far, LWOM, K40, G26 & G27, and 3 J-frames. Inexpensive, comfortable 8 hrs. later, and secure. Wash in cold water. Last 3/4 years as daily backup, then the fleece padding begins to feel a little scratchy. Good stuff!

Jack19

If you must carry on your ankle, carry a REAL weapon

I'm wearing a Glock 29 in a Lou Alessi ankle Rig even as I type. You can conceal larger weapons on your ankle, just requires that you dress appropriately. 10 shots of 10mm, with 15 rounds as back up, is hard to beat. And, no, I don't have tree trunks for ankles. :D

denfoote

Believe it or not...Glock 36!!! :) It makes a good pocket gun too, but that's another subject!!! For ankle carry, I use a Fobus GL-4. :cool: